cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot view Excel files created on Windows 10 PC from a new Windows 11 PC and vice versa

Cannot view Excel files created on Windows 10 PC from a new Windows 11 PC and vice versa

Big Maho
Explorer | Level 3

How do I view excel files in my dropbox that were created on a Windows 10 PC on my new Windows 11 PC and vice versa? Here is the error message when trying to access an excel doc created on my Windows 11 and trying to read on Window 10 PC.

thumbnail_image.png

20 Replies 20

Big Maho
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah,

I do not see the sync status but the version on both machines shows 204.4.5420. Any suggestions on how to view the sync status?

Big Maho
Explorer | Level 3

By the way, I went into the preferences for Dropbox and reviewed the Selective sync. All the folders I want to sync are checked on both computers (both computers are logged in to the same account with the same credentials - is that an issues?)

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for getting back to me, @Big Maho.

To see the sync status, all you need to do is hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon at the bottom right of your screen, then one you clicked to find the preferences.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Big Maho
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

Sorry for the delay. Still working on this when I have time. I assume that all the files I want both of us to view should be online only if I want us both to see them, yes?

Big Maho
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy,

Sorry for the delay. My wife is not able to see any folder I currently create and vice versa. I have confirmed we have the same update, both are logged into the same Dropbox account. We simply have differ OS. Mine is newer and hers is one generation older. Not sure if OS need to match. 

It feels like there is some other 'Preference' that I am missing to allow us to see all the folders in the one account that we share. Thoughts?

Big Maho
Explorer | Level 3

Also, no idea if this is material but I have copied the properties - general display when I right click on the app from each computer. Does this give any insights?

Dave's PC - Window 11 Home

Location path: C:\Users\david\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

BigMaho_0-1723418828922.png

So's PC - Windows 10 Home

BigMaho_5-1723419100250.png

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi again, @Big Maho! The online-only feature is generally used to save hard drive space on your device, so it’s not related to whether the files sync or not to your web account (meaning, even if they’re not set as online-only, they should still sync to your web account). 

Now, to make sure I got it right, after creating new folders on your Dropbox account on your computer, you can see them after that on www.dropbox.com. Correct? 

If yes, can you have your wife also check her own computer and make sure her Dropbox app’s running? Cause the issue may be there instead. 

What’s the syncing status and app version she sees on her end?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Big Maho
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for your response. Here are my inline answers:

Now, to make sure I got it right, after creating new folders on your Dropbox account on your computer, you can see them after that on www.dropbox.com. Correct? Yes. Correct. Interesting. I just tried to view all the files on both machines using the domain vs. the app on our computers and I can see all files on both machines!! Not sure what the issue is with the app but we can work with the domain access moving forward.

Any issues using the domain access on our PC's vs using the app that does not seem to let us see each others files?  

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Big Maho, let me also jump in here! 

When you say "domain access" I'm guessing you're referring to our website, right? If not, feel free to clarify. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Big Maho
Explorer | Level 3

Yes. Rather than using the app on our PC, I reviewed the files via dropbox.com

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Big Maho Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?