cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot view Excel files created on Windows 10 PC from a new Windows 11 PC and vice versa

Cannot view Excel files created on Windows 10 PC from a new Windows 11 PC and vice versa

Big Maho
Explorer | Level 3

How do I view excel files in my dropbox that were created on a Windows 10 PC on my new Windows 11 PC and vice versa? Here is the error message when trying to access an excel doc created on my Windows 11 and trying to read on Window 10 PC.

thumbnail_image.png

20 Replies 20

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @Big Maho - sorry to hear about this.

Are the files you're trying to open available offline on your computer or online-only perhaps?

Also, the file path shown in your screenshot is quite long. Have you tried moving those files to another location or renaming them to shorten their file paths?

Let me know more and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Big Maho
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

The files only live in the dropbox account.  I have the ability to save them locally but my wife and I share files using the single dropbox account for our business.

I have tried to shorten the names but still do not have success opening them. When you refer to another location, are you referring to another location inside my dropbox account?

Regards,

Dave/Big Maho

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Big Maho, that's exactly what Walter means; can you move one of those files to a location that's higher in your folder hierarchy, for example your main/root Dropbox folder or another top-level folder and let us know if you can open it then?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Big Maho
Explorer | Level 3

Hmmm. Thank you for all the feedback. It seems that I can get to files if they are higher in the hierarchy. I'm still have difficulty if I create a new folder and my wife's older OS is not able to see the new folder. Urgh... Is moving folders into a higher level the only solution here?

Big Maho
Explorer | Level 3

By the way, I just tried moving a folder from four levels deep to one level deep and my wife is not able to see the folder. I'm still mystified.

Big Maho
Explorer | Level 3

And just tried moving the folder to just under the main/root folder and my wife is not able to see it. (head scratch...)

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@Big Maho, sorry for jumping in. Can your wife see the updates you made on her Dropbox account online? 

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Big Maho
Explorer | Level 3

No. When we both had the same OS, we had no issues. I got a new computer with updated OS and the issues started where we could not see each other additions or updates in files inside the shared dropbox. ;-(

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hi again, @Big Maho!

If your updates do not show up in the account online either, it means they're not synced on your end (from the computer they were made on).

What's the sync status and version of the Dropbox app on that computer, when you hover over the Dropbox icon in the system tray?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Big Maho Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?