cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't play .mov file when downloaded (does play in preview window within dropbox)

Can't play .mov file when downloaded (does play in preview window within dropbox)

Wilfred Kirby
Explorer | Level 3

Have found others with similar issues a year or so ago, but nothing that states if/how it was resolved.

Have a 1.3Gb file, which plays on clients end and within the preview window. When I download it however, it simply says "cannot play file" and "not compatible with QuickTime player". Same file crashes VLC, will not play within Premiere or After Effects, nor does it work on a second Mac or a PC. 

Have downloaded it many times in both regular and incognito, and on multiple platforms. 

Client is super-frustrated obviously, as every other piece they uploaded is fine. Would be amazing if I could rectify it!

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Hey @Wilfred Kirby, thanks for reaching out today!

Is this a file that was shared with your through a link, or is it saved in your Dropbox account?

If it's saved, do you perhaps have the Dropbox application installed on your computer, to check if you can play it from your Dropbox folder?

Also, when you download it, does it get downloaded as a .mov file or is it zipped?

Keep me posted!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Wilfred Kirby
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah,

It's a link, however one of five video files; the other four work. The odd thing with this, is that it previews fine within the dropbox environment (same as the others) - can play it in there. However when downloaded, it has no preview image of the video as an icon (others do) and there's no way to play it in any player or program. Client swears it plays fine on their end.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for the update here, Wilfred, and happy Monday!

Is it possible that your machines are missing some codecs and that's why they cannot play this video on your media players?

It can't be corrupted if it previews on our website and on your client's end, but it is strange that you're having this issue on two different computers.

I found this article online, can you check it out, to see if it helps?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Wilfred Kirby Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?