cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exceeding storage space

exceeding storage space

aihand
Explorer | Level 3

I am uploading files from google Drive. I just uploaded a batch of PDF's but not all are showing in the files list. The batch went over my storage quote (2GB). I am now at 124% of my quota. No problem, I will undo the upload or return files back to Google Drive. Can I do this? The options seem only to be "delete" or "Upgrade plan". But I can't access the files I just tried to upload. I also clicked (before upload) the "delete files from source after upload" option. 

1. Can I access the batch of files that went over my limit that I just tried to upload? How?

2. Can I undo the action and return the files to Google Drive?

3. Were the files that exceeded the quote also deleted from google Drive? In essence, these files (not appearing in Dropbox) are now "in limbo" until I pay for an upgrade or delete files? (I can't move files now - because I've exceeded my storage limit.

4. Since deleting files now permanently deletes the files (and downloads are not an option (my hard drive hasn't the space). Moving is also not an option Dropbox allows.) am I stuck with having to pay for an upgrade ($18 per month)?

5. If I pay for the upgrade, I assume I can access the files in limbo (if they are indeed in limbo - I batched the upload so I don't know if Dropbox deleted them from Google drive).

6. Why does Dropbox allow for you to exceed your quota, then hostage the files that represent the overage, until you pay? Would it not be possible to stop the upload before the limit is reached? So customers can avoid being put in this position? That is, avoid being forced to delete files, or forced dot download them - which may encounter hand drive storage capacity issues (which is why we use dropbox) - or third, and short of the first two untenable options - be forced to buy a Dropbox plan? Wouldn't it be more up front and direct and customer-friendly just to say, "Hey, you're at your limit now, we've stopped uploading, buy storage to continue?"

Can anyone confirm deny and or answer my concerns?

11 Replies 11

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @aihand, thanks for posting your questions to the Dropbox Community.

Just to clarify, when you chose to export the files from Google Drive and chose the "delete files from the source after upload", this is an action taken by Google Drive and not Dropbox.

Any files that have successfully been uploaded to your Dropbox, will be found in your All files page here, even if you're over quota.

I'm afraid there's no way to undo this action through Dropbox, nor can you export the uploaded files automatically back to Google Drive.

You can download them to your computer and then re-upload them to Google Drive, if that's a possibility.

Logically, the files that didn't successfully export, should still be in Google Drive, is that not the case?

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

aihand
Explorer | Level 3

I have lost the files. 

I batch uploaded 1700 files from google drive. It put me in the red line, 124% above storage quota. I was then unable to access these files after the upload attempt. Nor are the files in google drive (I chose the "delete files from source" option before clicking upload).

My storage capacity currently reads 1.2 of 2.0 used. Somehow, shortly after the batched upload attempt, and after advising me I was at 124% and to buy more storage, my dropbox went back down to 1.2 GB.  I see less than 50 files from my google uploads. Nor are the files appearing on google drive.  The "delete files after upload" was successful, but the upload was not, so the files are somewhere in limbo. 

So where are the files?  Apx. 1650 files.

aihand
Explorer | Level 3

Also, you sent me a link to view the contents of my dropbox. How did you get access to my personal files? This seems like a privacy and security threat. 

aihand
Explorer | Level 3

And as for the 1650 files deleted from google drive but not deposited into my dropbox account, they are no longer in my possession and only dropbox knows there whereabouts, only dropbox now has access to them, and only dropbox knows what they will do with them. It's a vulnerable risky place for a user to be in.  

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @aihand, I completely understand why you might be concerned with this situation, so allow me to clarify this as best I can and we continue troubleshooting.

Regarding the link to your files, this (https://www.dropbox.com/home) is a universal Dropbox link; you were able to access your files from it, because you're already signed in to your account.

As for your files, I'm afraid, if they're not in your Dropbox account, Dropbox doesn't have a way of knowing what happened to them.

Since they were automatically exported from Google Drive, there's a chance that the export wasn't successful.

If you're not able to see the files in your "All files" page in Dropbox, can you take a look at your deleted files page to see if any appear there?

Also, if you check your events page, do the files appear to have been added?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

aihand
Explorer | Level 3

My google uploads folder which I created for the upload only have about 100 files in them. The remaining 1500 files are ???

aihand
Explorer | Level 3

Is it possible that the entire upload attempt was reversed?

I have a lot of files in google drive and I don't have a way of counting how many were in google drive before and after the upload attempt to Dropbox.

I do know the attempt succeeded at first - because my storage showed red line 124% with message from dropbox to buy more storage. (In fact, the batch upload was large enough for google not to track the activity - they aren't reporting on it.) 

After I got the message from Dropbox to buy more storage, I decided not to buy before considering alternatives, and then an hour later or so, the entire upload vanished, my storage returning to 60%

Please, access the files, and then either drop them into my dropbox or return them to source. There's about 1700 of them.  

aihand
Explorer | Level 3

Looking at EVENTS, I create the google_uploads folder in my Dropbox at 10:34 PM - after adding Ian_.pst and Ian_.jpeg and populating those folders with uploads. 
At 10:35 PM I batched 1700 google drive files. 54 appear to have successfully uploaded. As mentioned, Dropbox did tell me (after uploading all 1700) that my account storage was now 124% over capacity) and to buy additional storage. I did not.

Instead, I deleted a few files and investigated download options. 

As I did this, within the same hour or so,  my account shrank. From 124% overcapacity, to 60%, where it remains today. 

What happened to the files? 

aihand
Explorer | Level 3

Why isn't there any help? 

no-one has replied to my questions. I don't know how to retrieve the files I uploaded but can't find! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

aihand111 New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    aihand Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?