cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Required to upgrade even though I have space left

Why does Dropbox keep telling me to upgrade or I'm out of space?

LoisLane
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I dont understand why dropbox is constantly asking my to upgrade (aside from the obvious upselling) and threatening to stop syncing

see the details on my account

dropbox account.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

We can confirm that the most recent releases of Dropbox should have resolved this issue. Users affected by this issue were unable to see all of the backups on their account. This meant that when they believe they deleted some or all of their files, there could still be backups taking up space on their account. This should no longer be affecting users who should be able to see all of their backups.  

You can find out deleted information on disabling and deleting backups below:

If you disable the backup and choose to "Leave content in Dropbox", your backup content would still be there until it was permanently deleted. 

When you go to the Backups page and see no content, be sure to check the deleted section, too.

You can download the files from this location if you need to store them locally on your device. 

To clear out the data from the deleted backup, follow these steps:

1. Navigate to dropbox.com/backup/all
  2. Click on Show deleted backups
  3. Select their backup and click on permanently delete

Some users did not have backups, but they were members of shared folders which were taking up space on their accounts. You can remove shared folders using these instructions.

If you are still experiencing quota issues after following these steps, then confirm that we can reach out to you via email and our support agents will look into this with you.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @LoisLane, thanks for posting here today! 

In regards to the prompt asking you to upgrade your account: did you receive an email notification or a notification inside your Dropbox account? 

If you made sure that the notification is for the above account in question, and that you don't have two Dropbox accounts one of which is running out of space, please feel free to ignore it. 

Based on your screenshots, it seems that this Dropbox account you're referring to has plenty of space still. I'll forward your feedback to the appropriate areas so we can continue to improve.

I hope this helps!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

We can confirm that the most recent releases of Dropbox should have resolved this issue. Users affected by this issue were unable to see all of the backups on their account. This meant that when they believe they deleted some or all of their files, there could still be backups taking up space on their account. This should no longer be affecting users who should be able to see all of their backups.  

You can find out deleted information on disabling and deleting backups below:

If you disable the backup and choose to "Leave content in Dropbox", your backup content would still be there until it was permanently deleted. 

When you go to the Backups page and see no content, be sure to check the deleted section, too.

You can download the files from this location if you need to store them locally on your device. 

To clear out the data from the deleted backup, follow these steps:

1. Navigate to dropbox.com/backup/all
  2. Click on Show deleted backups
  3. Select their backup and click on permanently delete

Some users did not have backups, but they were members of shared folders which were taking up space on their accounts. You can remove shared folders using these instructions.

If you are still experiencing quota issues after following these steps, then confirm that we can reach out to you via email and our support agents will look into this with you.

awegner
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

awegner_0-1696277743564.png

Hi there - I'm trying to access a storage folder which doesn't have a lot of files in it. As you can see, I have plenty of space available. However, every time I click "join" it requests me to upgrade my membership.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @awegner, Happy Monday! 

Based on what you described, it sounds like you're trying to add a shared folder to your Dropbox account, but it won't allow you to do so, because of the available space there.

Feel free to clarify provided this isn't the case there. Can you let me know the size of the shared folder? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?