cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I check my storage, what does "other hard drive space used" mean?

When I check my storage, what does "other hard drive space used" mean?

jdailey
New member | Level 2

What does this even mean? It's telling me I've used nearly 1.5 tb when I only have 10gb in my folder?

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II

@jdailey wrote:

What does this even mean? It's telling me I've used nearly 1.5 tb when I only have 10gb in my folder?

Where are you seeing this? Is it referring to space on your local hard drive or your usage in your Dropbox account? If it's the space in your account, look at your Plan page for a breakdown of your usage. What does it say is using the space; regular files, shared, backup, etc.?

spokes2
New member | Level 2

RMB on systray icon, LMB on profile picture, "Manage hard drive space".

I comes up with a nice bar graph that sort of matches the sizes from RMB/properties on DropBox folder in file explorer ( Size: 462GB  Size on disk: 125 GB ), does this imply some slight compression? (I have no files "online only")

spokes2_0-1718301768286.png

Rich
Super User II

@spokes2 wrote:

DropBox folder in file explorer ( Size: 462GB  Size on disk: 125 GB ), does this imply some slight compression? (I have no files "online only")

With that big of a size difference, I'd suspect that you have some files or folders marked as online-only. It's common to see some size difference between the two (depending on several different factors not related to Dropbox), but that large of a difference, and with the size on disk being smaller, I'd bet you have files or folders marked as online-only somewhere in your Dropbox.

spokes2
New member | Level 2

I used to have some folders un-synced but checked all today (larger ssd) now all files show up in local drive. If I un-sync a buried folder the top level folder changed from a check to a dash.

spokes2_0-1718307598671.png

Rich
Super User II

@spokes2 wrote:

I used to have some folders un-synced but checked all today (larger ssd) now all files show up in local drive.

That's Selective Sync, used to completely remove a folder from your local drive, and not the Online-only feature. In fact, if you had any folders unchecked on that window and then checked them, they would sync to your computer as online-only, not taking up disk space.

To make sure all of your files are available offline, check the status icons and make sure they have a solid green circle with a white check mark on them. If they have a cloud symbol they're online-only. If they have a hollow green circle then they're online-only but were recently opened and synced.

Right-click on any file or folder (or many files/folders at once) and select Make available offline. You'll need to give it time for everything to sync. With that large of a difference, it will take some time.

spokes2
New member | Level 2

RMB on DropBox folder in File explorer, there's a new set of DropBox icon commands in the pop-up menu, one is "Make available offline". Now some up/down loads happening. This must override the other syncing checkbox interface.

Rich
Super User II

@spokes2 wrote:

This must override the other syncing checkbox interface.

You're confusing two different features that are similar, but unrelated.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    spokes2 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?