cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload directly to Dropbox without using additional HD space (Mac desktop app)

Upload directly to Dropbox without using additional HD space (Mac desktop app)

laurentius
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there,

let me try to explain at what I am aiming at: Let's say my Macbook has 100GB of free disk space. Now I want to copy a 200GB (photo library for example) folder to my Dropbox. When I move this to my DB folder it will eat up this additional disk space and thus in this case it won't even be possible. Once uploading something using the desktop app it won't go to "only online" directly, so it's kind of doubled on the hd. 

So my question would be this: Is it possible to upload big files directly into DB/Cloud without being "physically" on my hd?

THANKS!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@laurentius wrote:

Is it possible to upload big files directly into DB/Cloud without being "physically" on my hd?

Only if you upload through the Dropbox website. The Dropbox app can only sync files that are located within the Dropbox folder on your local drive. It's not capable of uploading direct to your account, bypassing your local drive.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@laurentius wrote:

Is it possible to upload big files directly into DB/Cloud without being "physically" on my hd?

Only if you upload through the Dropbox website. The Dropbox app can only sync files that are located within the Dropbox folder on your local drive. It's not capable of uploading direct to your account, bypassing your local drive.

laurentius
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for clarifying this. The problem is that on the Website there is a maximum upload size...

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @laurentius, aside from the website, there isn't another method to upload directly to the site without taking up space on your machine.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    laurentius Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?