cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsuccessful sync and download is taking up space on my mac - how do I delete these hidden files?

Unsuccessful sync and download is taking up space on my mac - how do I delete these hidden files?

sophiepajak123
Explorer | Level 4

Hi all

I have been trying to sync and download a large file (approx 160Gb) from a client for 4 days now and hitting numerous roadblocks. Before my most recent attempt, I had a total of 240Gb available space on my laptop (of an overall hard drive size of 400ish), but now, after the unsuccessful sync, I only have 100Gb available. I assume this is because the unsuccessful attempt is still taking up space on my hard drive in the form of caches etc, but I can't find out how to delete this and regain the storage space back. I'm desperate to attempt the sync and download again but can't without freeing up this space so I'm back up to 240Gb. If anyone can advise me how to delete these hidden files that would be amazing - thank you! I am using a Mac. 

Thank you! 

1 Reply 1

sophiepajak123
Explorer | Level 4

Just to elaborate on this - I have followed these steps suggested here - https://help.dropbox.com/delete-restore/cache-folder - and when I did this a few days ago I could see lots of large files there I then deleted, but this time when I try it only shows cache files amounting to 55ish Mb, so not the 140Gb that I'm looking for (as I had 240Gb before I started the sync/download process yesterday.) Thank you!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sophiepajak123 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?