cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage issue on Windows PC

Storage issue on Windows PC

pdennen12
Explorer | Level 3

My PC is saying I am running out of storage space.  It says Dropbox is using ~20GB.  I thought Dropbox was cloud based.  Why is my hard drive using up this space?  I also use I Drive for a second backup.  Is there a way to back up my Dropbox files onto I Drive?

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@pdennen12 wrote:

I thought Dropbox was cloud based.  Why is my hard drive using up this space?

The Dropbox folder on your computer is a folder like any other, and anything in it takes up space just like any other files on your computer. It is not a cloud-based folder where everything you see is only stored online.

You can mark files or folders as Onlin-only, at which point the file or folder is removed from your local drive and a placeholder is left behind. This helps save space on your local drive. Any Online-only file that you open will need to download back to the computer first before it can be opened.

pdennen12
Explorer | Level 3

How do I access the folder should my PC crash?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

You simply log into your Dropbox account through your preferred web browser or even download and install the desktop app on the device you'll be using afterwards @pdennen12 

Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    pdennen12 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?