cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our Dropbox team has gone over-quota and I can't permanently delete my files.

Our Dropbox team has gone over-quota and I can't permanently delete my files.

theodexer2050
Explorer | Level 3

My Client (Call it Client Gamma) has a Dropbox Standard Account of 5 TB. Only we 2 are the members of this account. Client Gamma is the admin
When I log In to Dropbox I get 2 Folders. My Personal Folder (Call it FOLDER ALPHA) and the Folder that my client uploads files to (Call it FOLDER Gamma).
Now I have other clients(Call it Client Beta) as well. And Clients Beta have invited me to their Dropbox account. These client's folder (Folder Beta) appear inside my FOLDER ALPHA. So these folders should be independent from my main client's folder (independent from Client Gamma). 

> PROBLEM 1: Now Client Gamma's Account Storage is Full. I proceed to upload files to my other client's folder (Folder Beta). Their accounts are not full. But I get Dropbox is full error.

> Problem 2: Hoping to create space, I decide to go to the deleted files section where my old files are rotting because I can't permanently delete them. The files I had in the FOLDER ALPHA are mine. The admin (Folder Gamma) doesn't even have access to Folder Alpha(My folder). But I can't permanently delete my own files unless I have permission from Client Gamma?

I am really confused. Someone explain to me what is happening and how to solve this?

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @theodexer2050, welcome to our Community! 

You mentioned that "Client Gamma" has a Team account that you're part of and is the admin. However, would you mind clarifying the subscription for "Client Beta" too?

Also, you mentioned "These client's folder (Folder Beta) appear inside my FOLDER ALPHA". It sounds possible that they just invited you to be a member in a shared folder, and not to their Dropbox account. Keep in mind that you wouldn't be able to join two Dropbox Teams using the same email address.

As for permanently deleting content, is it possible they're shared folders too? Can you clarify the icon you see on top of some of the folders that you're trying to delete?

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

theodexer2050
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, the Client Beta has shared the folder with me. Is there a way to join two teams from the same account? You must make this feature available for video editors who may have multiple clients.

For Permanently Deleting Files, you can look at the picture here:

theodexer2050_0-1721976923296.jpg

The green ones are deleted from my folder (Folder Alpha) and the red ones are deleted from Client Gamma(The Admin)

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me too, @theodexer2050. At the moment, it’s not possible indeed to become member of two Dropbox teams at the same time and with the same email address. 

To do this, you’ll need to join the second Dropbox team under another email address instead. 

As for permanently deleting your own files, I’d like to mention first that this won’t affect your Dropbox quota; files that have been deleted from your Dropbox account no longer take up space from it anyways (even if they’re in the Deleted files page). 

However, can you send over a screenshot of what you see when trying to permanently remove them?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

theodexer2050
Explorer | Level 3

removed

1. This is the screen recording of what happens

2. And I have another question. My Client (Client Gamma) recently deleted 200 Gb worth of data but the dropbox still says it's full. How long does dropbox take to know it has new available space?

3. Another question: Does my other client's files take up space in my Client Gamma's Dropbox?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @theodexer2050, I'm afraid that due to security & privacy reasons we can't access the screen-recording link.

If it's not too much of a trouble, would you mind attaching some step-to-step screenshots instead. 

In regards to your available quota: have you tried checking your plan page at all? If so, what does it report? 

Lastly, keep in mind that a shared folder takes up space in both the recipients and senders Dropbox accounts. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    theodexer2050 Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?