cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No additional space on Business Advanced

No additional space on Business Advanced

ggtello
Helpful | Level 6

Dear community,

I'm here to advice that the support have been denying us additional space for two weeks, first telling us that there was a momentary problem, then that we had made a request before the 7 days, then again (after waiting 7 days) that there is a problem which however is not written by Nowhere.

We're really worried about that because they don't give us any timelines and the fact that the problem doesn't exist on the dropbox status page and that nobody else talks about it seems a bit suspicious.

I don't like writing these posts but we are really worried don't you think? Are any of you having similar problems? do they only have it with us?

615 Replies 615

cgi_ltd
Collaborator | Level 10

Yup! They originally wanted $70k, I told them no way and bounced me back the $60k quote. If you have 500 - 600TB, these are the prices I have been getting quoted.

https://i.ibb.co/4JQ4ww5/Screenshot-20231018-094814-Adobe-Acrobat.jpg

Eldon McGuinness
Collaborator | Level 9
That is a huge markup!

If you're an administrator and you were to price out drives, you're looking at ~5-6kUSD for that much storage. And then maybe another 400USD/year for electricity to power the drives. Then throw in maybe another 2400USD/year for a fast internet connection. You're looking at an initial investment of ~8kUSD and an ongoing expense of 2800USD/year; a far cry from Dropbox's price point.

The idea that Dropbox's "tools" are worth 50-60kUSD/year is just insane.

I imagine there is going to be a run on hdds/hbas/etc as people/companies migrate to local storage. Get ready for it everyone!

trafficjamstudio
Explorer | Level 4

We have a modest 34TB - we ran out of space today and have been told by DB support that we should try deleting files, or we can upgrade to enterprise - I did not bother to ask how much. So the solution to our storage issues, recommended by our chosen cloud storage solution, is to delete our files? Brilliant. 

I do feel for them if they have been hit hard by mining, but surely they will end up losing lots of customers?

Has anyone considered using BOX? We need to find an alternative solution quickly. We already have google drive, but I find the uploads t be throttled so it takes too long to deliver the images to our clients. 

cgi_ltd
Collaborator | Level 10
Box is even worse, when I asked to be quoted for 400TB of space on their most expensive enterprise plan, and told them we would migrate the data ( so you can set your crypt storage ). They said we wouldn't be a good fit for them, because they are now enforcing upload limits of 1TB per user, per month. So they didn't even bother me with a quote. Just said, nope, not gonna work.

Eldon McGuinness
Collaborator | Level 9
Box does throttling as well, the limit is on a per seat basis and around 1 TB of bandwidth a month on the business license.

trafficjamstudio
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for your response. I think we're going to have to go back to local storage to backup our projects. The backups are what take our space, images we send are usually smaller in size so likely within a TB or 2 off data per year so we can downgrade massively ponce we have those local backups

cgi_ltd
Collaborator | Level 10
I already ordered a 36 Bay Supermicro box off ebay. SAS 6gps rails, with motherboard, cpu's and ram. Ready to go for a Truenas System. Got it for $515.00. Has 8 pcie 3.0 x8 slots. Plenty for a dual 10gb sfp+ and 10gb rj45 card and can use the rest of the slots for HBA's ( If needed )

OfficeInCT
Collaborator | Level 9

@trafficjamstudio There is a trend of companies starting to migrate from Cloud back to local. For hundreds of terabytes people like us should be checking out Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Backblaze, Wasabi, IBM, Seagate Lyve Cloud, etc etc. 

Eldon McGuinness
Collaborator | Level 9
I doubt storing that kind of data in the cloud will be viable in the current market. Most people are not willing in to put out the kind of money they are looking for at the moment. I've been recommending co-location setups for all my customers. Best of both worlds, a stable price and a stable storage solution that they can scale as needed with a fixed price.

cgi_ltd
Collaborator | Level 10
I've thought about co-location, but I'm rural and there probably isn't any place, distance wise, within reason. Because if you want to upgrade your storage box, fix it etc...you gotta drive to the location. Do you suggest any national providers that are decent in price?
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dsucx New member | Level 2
    Mrleosir1 New member | Level 2
    OfficeInCT Collaborator | Level 9
    dropby Helpful | Level 6
    ggtello Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?