cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No additional space on Business Advanced

No additional space on Business Advanced

ggtello
Helpful | Level 6

Dear community,

I'm here to advice that the support have been denying us additional space for two weeks, first telling us that there was a momentary problem, then that we had made a request before the 7 days, then again (after waiting 7 days) that there is a problem which however is not written by Nowhere.

We're really worried about that because they don't give us any timelines and the fact that the problem doesn't exist on the dropbox status page and that nobody else talks about it seems a bit suspicious.

I don't like writing these posts but we are really worried don't you think? Are any of you having similar problems? do they only have it with us?

615 Replies 615

Thunder1
Helpful | Level 5
@Niitr0

Regarding storage Expansion their speech is 100% clear.
If you want more storage you can purchase 1TB for 10$ per Month.

So you want 20 TB instead of 15 TB you have to pay 50$ per month on top of your subscription for as long as you need those 5 TB.
If you stop paying you will fall back to 15TB

OfficeInCT
Collaborator | Level 9

@Eldon McGuinness Sorry, yes. I didn't specify that in my post but was implying it. 

Niitr0
Experienced | Level 12
Okay, and when is it possible to increase 1 tb each month?

Eldon McGuinness
Collaborator | Level 9

@Thunder1 it is actually pretty clear except for what the current storage allotments of people whole have more than 5TB per license and those that have more than 35TB per license will cost.

• In the case of those using more than 5TB per license, they will have a 5 year lock on their current costs. That will only lock in their current usage plus a onetime 5TB addition. This means, if you have 3 licenses with 15TB per license, when you need more storage you will need to buy it at 10$/TB/month. You will retain your 60TB allotment (not counting the one time 5TB bump they are giving) at your current billing rate of $90/month. Now let's say you need 10TB more storage. Your new bill will immediately go up by 100$/month as they are now charging 10$/TB/month.
  • It gets even more interesting for you if you are using more than 35TB per license, 3 licenses with a total of 200TB, these users will have a 1 year lock on their current costs. As noted above that will only lock in their current usage plus the onetime 5TB addition. Just as above, if they want more, they will need to buy it at 10$/TB/month.

Now, the unclarity comes in with what happens for the first case when the 5 years passes, will they have to pay 10$/TB/month for the extra 45TB they are using past the 5TB per license? The same for the second case, after one year will they then have to pay 10$/TB/month for the extra 185TB they are using past the 5TB per license?

Great questions that no one seems to be able or willing to answer. I have lots of customers, I do IT consulting and have sold many people on the idea of Dropbox, that are wanting to know this information and are hitting a dead-end. I think we are going to see a huge balloon at the end of the 1 and 5 year grace periods but would love for Dropbox to prove me wrong.

danblaze
Helpful | Level 6

@Eldon McGuinness

I am glad to see your response again under this topic. I appreciate your efforts to clarify everything, which is great. The questions you have organized are also my doubts.

So far, there are too many vague areas in Dropbox's new policy that make me even doubt how they will implement it. A reasonable guess is that this is just a guideline - a temporary response to the surge in storage and user inquiries. Nonetheless, even after they have stopped without any explanation for many days, I believe users have given the Dropbox team enough time to think about all of this.

But in the end, what we have received is still just a vague policy explanation that does not include any detailed issues. November is a critical milestone, and I think they have not reached a consensus internally and completed customer service training. This is really unfortunate.

And I must be frank, as a user, the additional 1TB of space for $10 seems a bit absurd to me - Dropbox certainly has the right to set any price they want. Just think about it:

1. If I purchase the Professional plan for $16.58 per month, which gives me 3TB of space, then each TB is equivalent to around $5.5. Why should the price for extra space be even more expensive than purchasing it separately? It really makes no sense and lacks sincerity.
2. If you broaden your horizons, both BackBlaze, Wasabi, and iDrive e2 offer much more cost-effective storage prices. Of course, comparing them to S3-compatible storage and Dropbox is not entirely fair. But in reality, there are also many software options that can manage multiple accounts collaboration on S3 storage. Dropbox is not invincible.

As a heavy user, Dropbox is practically forcing me to leave after a year. This is absurd. I hope I'm not the only one feeling this way.

DBXCommunity
Community Manager

@Niitr0 Until you are migrated to the new Advanced plan, you can still request additional storage from Dropbox Support. Let me know if you are still unclear about purchasing additional storage.

@Eldon McGuinness @Thunder1 Per our announcement, we plan to reach out to Dropbox Advanced customers utilizing at least 35TB per license to explore available options to meet their storage needs. I also understand and acknowledge your request for more information about the specifics of what will happen after the 5 year period for existing Dropbox Advanced customers under 35TB/license. I do not have specifics to share at this time, but I will update you when this changes.

cgi_ltd
Collaborator | Level 10

@DBXCommunity 

If an account is OVER 35TB/user, but just wishes to keep the storage then have been allocated, and are happy to not receive and further increases in storage, is their a way one can just keep the plan "as is". Kind of like a grandfathered plan cause?

Thanks

Rootax
Helpful | Level 7
They said that people over 35tb will be contacted to find a solution. IE => pay this amount or get out.

Niitr0
Experienced | Level 12
They didn't say that...

Niitr0
Experienced | Level 12

@DBXCommunity It's not a question of whether I want additional storage space or not, it's simply that you have no information to provide us about what will happen in November..., nothing is clear to anyone, and no dropbox member clarifies the points apart from rehashing what is written in your blog

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dsucx New member | Level 2
    Mrleosir1 New member | Level 2
    OfficeInCT Collaborator | Level 9
    dropby Helpful | Level 6
    ggtello Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?