cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No additional space on Business Advanced

No additional space on Business Advanced

ggtello
Helpful | Level 6

Dear community,

I'm here to advice that the support have been denying us additional space for two weeks, first telling us that there was a momentary problem, then that we had made a request before the 7 days, then again (after waiting 7 days) that there is a problem which however is not written by Nowhere.

We're really worried about that because they don't give us any timelines and the fact that the problem doesn't exist on the dropbox status page and that nobody else talks about it seems a bit suspicious.

I don't like writing these posts but we are really worried don't you think? Are any of you having similar problems? do they only have it with us?

615 Replies 615

Niitr0
Experienced | Level 12

@HWG-1 

If there will still be the restriction of 1TB/month until November

dzeto
Helpful | Level 6
Well it's sad to say but it's now much cheaper to buy 14TB HDD (MDD brand) for 120$ or 16TB for 150$. It can be connected with reliable protocol like owncloud.com and accessed like Dropbox.

I'm moving all my clients who needs online data on storj.io and box.com now because it's cheaper per TB. Storj.io is much faster too and with a much higher TPS limit. Well the Owncloud option will become my best fit, but i need some time to setup everything.

cgi_ltd
Collaborator | Level 10
This is a money grab, here is an export from their most recent earnings statement;

"With more than 18 million paying users, Dropbox is one of the best-known companies in the cloud storage industry and reported $2.5 billion in annual recurring revenue during its fiscal-second quarter earnings on Aug. 3."

You have 2.5 billion dollars incoming, and you cannot continue this plan? I call foul. You can continue to support this plan, just but some restrictions on it to prevent abuse and people using for plex servers. Problem solved. For those of us who use it for legitimate reasons, even if we are in the top 1%, your always going to have these type of customers on an unlimited plan. It's a game of balance between big data users, and those that store only a few gigs on the same plan.

pete_
Helpful | Level 6

well, then it's finally good bye to dropbox.

this is no basis for a reliable business or enterprise partnership.

changing rules after confirming multiple times before purchasing the service is simply the opposite of a trusted business relationship.

the updated rules are just the next ridiculous step. - who came up with this idea? - did anybody think this through until the end and taking into account all consequences of this stupid approach?

our company is done with dropbox and we will spread the news and the way dropbox is dealing with their business partners.

good luck dropbox for your company's future and your way of providing business and enterprise services.

dinosm
Helpful | Level 5

I'd just like to agree with everyone that says this is shoddy business practices and whoever thought of doing it this way really should have thought and planned better.

As a supposedly trusted business, Dropbox simply cannot sign on customers on a promise of 'as much storage as you need' (even with the latest restrictions of 1TB increase per month), and then go back on that contract when everyone is either mid-migration or has just finished a multi-month migration. It is just not how business is done.

Unless Dropbox management come up with A LOT of clarifications on the questions posed by the community, AND some changes to how this is being handled, it will have a very damaged reputation. At the very least, the promise of 'as much storage as you need' has to be kept for customers who signed up in good faith based on that, or a more generous allowance should be made. $8/month/TB is way too expensive, and not realistic.

Gospeljohn001
Helpful | Level 6
So now that DropBox has shown their "solution" and unethical business practices.

Where do we go now? I liked the interface capabilities of Dropbox (moved here from Google Drive). I can set up an NAS on my router but I'm in no way an IT pro. Where do I go?

Colek
Helpful | Level 6

I just really hope this hits mainstream media once people get official message from Dropbox regarding this issue.

All I know is that I will no longer trust Dropbox with any storage hosted on their side - this is what this situation tought me and my company. We've been mid-migration like you've mentioned, we've paid for dedicated servers only with purpose to migrate our data onto Dropbox when few months in, we are being told that the "as much storage as you need" has been a lie all along.

I just wonder how many other companies were undergoing such migration to Dropbox - only to learn that the rules have been changed.

I really hope that we'll be able to receive full refund for all Dropbox services we've been provided since - as we were not able to fully migrate our data and now we have to look for new solution to your data. However, currently this still requires us to pay you for next few months of subscription while we migrate data hosted on your servers to our new solution - all caused because a lie.

mikedatruth00
New member | Level 2

DB is designed to turn a profit?? Right? So if there are abusers they will change the guidelines to work to their benefit...

Colek
Helpful | Level 6

I am afraid that if you want to be taken seriously, you need to write your posts like a sane person.

No one is saying that Dropbox should be a charity providing cheap storage to everyone - everyone knows they're a business, people who subscribed to their storage are running business as well.

But they did advertise "as much storage as you need" - why should we be in the wrong for taking them up on that? If they knew that they couldn't deliver on this promise, maybe they shouldn't advertise it as one?

Imagine someone advertised parking in centre of New York starting from $500 a year. You take them up on that. Then, after 1 month, they take it back and they say you need to pay additional $250 a month to keep parking there. Who's in the wrong here?

HWG-1
Collaborator | Level 10
Thank you all for the discussions. I have all our files deducted from Dropbox and quit today. Best of luck to all Dropbox users.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dsucx New member | Level 2
    Mrleosir1 New member | Level 2
    OfficeInCT Collaborator | Level 9
    dropby Helpful | Level 6
    ggtello Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?