cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Plans

No additional space on Business Advanced

ggtello
Helpful | Level 6

Dear community,

I'm here to advice that the support have been denying us additional space for two weeks, first telling us that there was a momentary problem, then that we had made a request before the 7 days, then again (after waiting 7 days) that there is a problem which however is not written by Nowhere.

We're really worried about that because they don't give us any timelines and the fact that the problem doesn't exist on the dropbox status page and that nobody else talks about it seems a bit suspicious.

I don't like writing these posts but we are really worried don't you think? Are any of you having similar problems? do they only have it with us?

615 Replies 615

alexchng88
Helpful | Level 6
Nov 2, 2023, 10:42

alexchng88
Helpful | Level 6
These is the summary of my phone conversation with Dropbox that scheduled one week ago
------------------------------------

Keira, Nov 2, 2023, 10:42 PM PDT:
Hi Alex,

Thank you for taking our call today! This email includes a ticket number for your reference.

Regarding our call today you came in as you wanted to know more about the changes in the plan and what other options you have.

As per our call, after the migration you will keep the storage that you currently use plus 5 TB provided to you by Dropbox.

After one year your plan will transition onto 5 TB per active license. In case you would like to look at our Enterprise option you can reach out to our Sales department by visiting https://experience.dropbox.com/contact.

If you need something else, please let me know, and I will be more than happy to help every step of the way.

In the meantime take care.

Best regards,
Keira

visionhouse
Helpful | Level 6

This was similar to my experience… but all support interactions were vague and confusing. They never clearly articulated this change anywhere… at least not yet… because it LOOKS BAD.  They are dramatically limiting the falsely “all you need” all you need to paltry 5TB per user.  BE REASONABLE.  This is totally unacceptable.  You msut meet users in the middle here….  Very. Bad. Business.  And botched handling of this situation. 

Andcut studio
Helpful | Level 5

As a video post-production studio, we handle A LOT of footage. Often clients share projects with us on Dropbox, or we receive footage externally and upload it to Dropbox to have it all in a centralised space. This is a workflow I used during my time in one of the largest global video agencies. Now that I established my own agency, I had to find out that Dropbox no longer provides the Unlimited option. But that leaves a lot of video makers in the dark. And sadly 3-5 or even 15 TerraBytes are not enough for many of us. Would there be a way of "not counting" some footage, or labeling it differently so it doesn;t eat up all the space. Right now a client needs to upload it to Dropbox (and pay for it) and then when they share it with us, we also need to store it (and pay for it). I understand that people started taking advantage of the Unlimited plan. But can a solution be found for the rest of us? 

dallascurrie
New member | Level 2

My suggestion is that a sudden change in plans, like going from unlimited to 15tb, you should consider your users that really leaned on the promise of large storage, and paid for it. When you make a shift like that it affects the minority of your customers that used your functionality to the fullest extent. I will no longer be a dropbox customer because of this change, and it has affected my opinion when describing to other businesses what cloud service they should use.

jacoporicci
Helpful | Level 6

No, they just want our money. 🙂

clintwb
Helpful | Level 7

@Andcut studio - As far as clients sending you files, you can do a file request. That makes it where they don’t even need a Dropbox account and it’s free to them. It goes directly into your Dropbox folder (wherever you specify the file request to go) but will count towards your quota.

That being said, with the massive reduction In Storage space Dropbox went from being the perfect solution for your studio (and mine) to nearly worthless because we can only store a dozen hours of raw footage at a time.

The new plan that’s capped at 5TB/user they are marketing it as being able to store something like 7500 hours of video!!! Haha! Clearly that’s 8bit 1080p footage shot in 2009 or something

It blows my mind with how many tools for content creators and video production specifically, they are making all of those tools useless with such low storage limits. No film studio with 3 editors is going to be able to use their tools without running out of storage space before a project ends

We have been told that we will get to keep our current space/quota amount for a year but on Oct 25, 2024 it will drop from 168TB to 15TB and there is nothing we can do to increase that amount of space except go to an enterprise plan, which from what I have seen quoted - would cost us about $20k per month to have 160TB of Dropbox storage. 

as with many others, unless they change to meet us in the middle somewhere with a plan somewhat resembling a useable amount of space - we will be migrating away from Dropbox next year to another solution. I for one loved Dropbox, am a 13 year user and have built workflows around it. But being told that I can pay the same, but get 9% of the storage is just a huge middle finger from Dropbox to a long term customer.  I value business relationships as partnerships and for over a decade Dropbox shared that belief but they have changed their model. I understand getting rid of unlimited storage and changing from that. But not after 2 years of it and not by replacing it with a useless amount, in a way that was confusing at least and honestly a little shady.

Andcut studio
Helpful | Level 5
Is it just me, or is Dropbox signing its own death certificate here? I mean reading all the posts on the forum…

clintwb
Helpful | Level 7
@Andcut studio - they will be fine. They have clearly decided that loosing a few thousand users who are a high TB/user is better for them than protecting those relationships with small businesses.

I’m assuming they have decided bulk (like 50,000) individual users and then enterprise users are are where they want to focus so the relatively small amount of users like us don’t matter to them.

Andcut studio
Helpful | Level 5
I’m afraid you are right.
Need more support?