cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Staff: Please Read - Huge data influx explanation

No additional space on Business Advanced

ggtello
Helpful | Level 6

Dear community,

I'm here to advice that the support have been denying us additional space for two weeks, first telling us that there was a momentary problem, then that we had made a request before the 7 days, then again (after waiting 7 days) that there is a problem which however is not written by Nowhere.

We're really worried about that because they don't give us any timelines and the fact that the problem doesn't exist on the dropbox status page and that nobody else talks about it seems a bit suspicious.

I don't like writing these posts but we are really worried don't you think? Are any of you having similar problems? do they only have it with us?

615 Replies 615

Rootax
Helpful | Level 7
Yeah they got a big influx of data. They got a lot of news clients/$$ too. I don't doubt they will find their balance again soon.

Tomato2515
Explorer | Level 4

No one is going to get sued as Dropbox is covered in their AUP, Terms of Service, etc. and has lawyers. 🙂

Let this be a lesson learned; unlimited is NOT unlimited. When people abuse it, it is tested and the real truth is found out.

Tomato2515
Explorer | Level 4

The huge data influx is from people migrating their Plex collections (hundreds upon hundreds of Terabytes of data) off Google Workspace to Dropbox.

Google acted on enforcing storage limits in March of this year and everyone is rushing to get off. I've been watching the fallout.

Not applicable

@Tomato2515 are you a BackBlaze employee .... 😉

Tomato2515
Explorer | Level 4

No just what popped into my head. Can't remember Amazon's; Amazon S3? You get the point.

Tomato2515
Explorer | Level 4

I'm saying these users have 200, 300 TB of encrypted data. That points to one thing; copies of movies and TV.

And no, Google does not offer unlimited anymore. Go read....

DoctaK
New member | Level 2

@Tomato2515

You know an awful lot about this for being an innocent bystander 🤔

Sure you're not one of the 'many' users hoarding data for their plex servers?

SirHenryTheNerd
Helpful | Level 5

"

I'm saying these users have 200, 300 TB of encrypted data. That points to one thing; copies of movies and TV."

That is bull**bleep**. Pardon my French.

Tomato2515
Explorer | Level 4

It's been discussed numerous times in the datahoarder community https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/

And no, I do not use Dropbox or any cloud storage. All local. 😁 I OWN my data.

Tomato2515
Explorer | Level 4

OK, then show us what is in the files 🤣

Need more support?