cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Staff: Please Read - Huge data influx explanation

No additional space on Business Advanced

ggtello
Helpful | Level 6

Dear community,

I'm here to advice that the support have been denying us additional space for two weeks, first telling us that there was a momentary problem, then that we had made a request before the 7 days, then again (after waiting 7 days) that there is a problem which however is not written by Nowhere.

We're really worried about that because they don't give us any timelines and the fact that the problem doesn't exist on the dropbox status page and that nobody else talks about it seems a bit suspicious.

I don't like writing these posts but we are really worried don't you think? Are any of you having similar problems? do they only have it with us?

615 Replies 615

lonewolf12016
Helpful | Level 5

Sorry to say your fix doesnt actually solve it, There are many companys out there that use linux servers so use apps like rclone to connect to cloud back up servers, considering last I check dropbox dont have a linux alternative, also like my company who uses server that are linux based, Projects injest through it and back up to the cloud.
Your "easy fix" as you call it doesnt take everything into consideration and mass banning everyone on a claim without actual proof, would see dropbox sued into the next century.
Its not as easy as you think it is to stop the abuse by hoarders that have moved over to DB.

Also for someone who claims not to be doing things, you certainly know alot about it, where to look and such, I didnt even know half of that.

Yes Dropbox needs to do something but what I actually dont know. Investigate Account Sharing/Selling defaintly, but finding those that are selling Plex Accounts, going to be hard as by what I have heard Plex themselves have spent years trying to find a way.

Tomato2515
Explorer | Level 4

use the Services to back up, or as infrastructure for, your own cloud services;

P.S. No reputable company is using Dropbox to backup data. It is against their AUP. They would use real backup services for that. Blackblaze B2, etc.  You are most likely the cause of this problem too.

Shamrock22
Helpful | Level 7

Sir, you are creating conspiracy theories here. 

In a lot of countries you are _obliged_ to store data encrypted. It is not only from interest for video-pirates, but for companies that do architectural and mechanical design, modelling, video-editing and so on. It is a very unwise allegation you are formulating that everyone encrypting their files does bad.

It is for security. Of customer data and sensitive project data.  

Also you should ask _why_ people are encrypting their data. Simply because dropbox is scanning the files for copyright-infringement.

If they would not do this, but they are obliged by law to do this unfortunately, then people would not encrypt because it creates overhead to encrypt. And then you could deduplicate on filesystem-side of Dropbox. If you want to be angry at someone, be angry at the lawmakers and rights-holders that are after people that digitize their DVD-collections instead of caring for real criminality in the streets and be angry at Dropbox that is making contracts with people and not fulfilling it, - not be angry at people that use their storage they bought _as advertised_ by Dropbox in an absolutely legitimate manner.

Tomato2515
Explorer | Level 4

@Shamrock22 

You know WHY they are encrypting; to avoid copyright infringement of scanned files. 😆 That provides me all I need to know.

Like I said, any REAL company would not be using Dropbox as a BACKUP. They would USE REAL BACKUP SERVICES. Dropbox is to SHARE files.

And conspiracies? You can see people discussing and using Dropbox for mass uploading files and mounting Dropbox with Rclone at the forum links I provided in my OP. 🤣

Dominus
Helpful | Level 6

I use Dropbox and using encryption to store the security videos from my clients.  We encrypt because we don't want those files getting leaked online.  I understand Dropbox scanning files for piracy, but I don't want them scanning our files and accessing them so easily.  Who know what some hacker group might be able to do if they got access to something like that.  Better the encrypt the files and be safe.  Doesn't mean you are pirating at all.  Plus we are using this because it's a lot cheaper are was supposedly more reliable then the other options out there.

Tomato2515
Explorer | Level 4

@Dominus

Then you are caught in the cross-fire and should never believe the word "unlimited storage". Google Workspace is now enforcing limits and Dropbox will too. The only re-course is to migrate to locally storing and use Blackbaze as a backup.

Also, why are you storing security footage online? It's best kept OFFLINE is it not? You are violating AUP too as you are backing up too.

The "cloud" is someone else's computer..

I should be more clear, these accounts are storing 50,100,200,300+ terabytes of data. Most users will not be storing this insane amount of data. If you only check accounts doing this on or after March 2023; you can get almost all the big offenders.

Richard Eltink
Explorer | Level 4

Is Blackbase not the same as GDrive and DBox?

DoctaK
New member | Level 2

@Tomato2515

I think you're reading into their AUP a little too much.

Why would Dropbox offer a business plan if you cannot use the service to back up your files as a business ?

• use the Services to back up, or as infrastructure for, your own cloud services;

All this means is you cannot create a cloud ecosystem using the storage supplied by Dropbox, not that you can't backup your business files. If this were the case, Dropbox wouldn't offer business plans.

As for the encryption, not sure if this is the case where you are, but where I live, if we are backing up data that has sensitive information held within it, we MUST encrypt this information by law or we can be fined. 

I understand your frustration, but Google is still offering unlimited storage to business accounts with 5 or more users, just like Dropbox has a limitation of 3 users. But calling for banning users from using encrypted data is downright silly. Do a little more homework before spouting such nonsense. 

lonewolf12016
Helpful | Level 5

NOt alowed backups on Dropbox ??

https://experience.dropbox.com/en-gb/resources/windows-cloud-backup#:~:text=The%20best%20solution%20....

Please explain, also doesnt matter why someone is backing up secruity footage or in our case video editing we have done for clients under strick NDA's.
Also I am glad you speak for all companys and know what all companys are using for backup services, Guess Dropbox has a buisness section for no reason with no clients by your theory.

As for cross fire, why should legit companys pay the price for those breaking the law? Pretty sure thats not how it should work.

Anyways like I said, your "easy fix" doesnt actually fix anything but put Dropbox into a situation where companys will sue them.
Also I have heard poeple are selling slots for Dropbox, meaning they will have more than 3, so the ones thats will/are using loads of storage on more than 3? Whats you "easy fix" going to do about those?

The picture is alot bigger than you or I, or I am sure Dropbox would have shut down alot of accounts.

Also you claim I am breaking their AUP, They know I am backing up client data, had many live chats with defferent staff members, so you can keep throwing their AUP at me, Dropbox are aware and they are fine with it.

Next?

Shamrock22
Helpful | Level 7

Unfortunately not.

Restoring data from backblaze (and crashplan) is slow and expensive. 

There was times when one could order from them harddisks with the files but they stopped this. 

Dropbox, box, google-drive and those storage services are basically 'hot storage' with no cost of downloading stuff.

Governmental agencies for example use services like backblaze due to certain requirements but private companies are free to choose. 

But this whole discussion is nonsense.

Dropbox is a international, giant stock company. They have analysts and accountants that came up with the idea to offer _Unlimited Space_ to people. They thought they could make money that way. Or do you really think they made a mistake and did not foresee this?

This is all bollocks. 

If you offer All you can eat in your hotel and then guests arrive that eat more than you have expected you cannot simply throw them out. This is your fault.

Need more support?