cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My earned Free Space via Referral didn't increase, why?

My earned Free Space via Referral didn't increase, why?

kaushdev
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I have Dropbox Basic account for now and I referred a friend this afternoon. He got the invite and also installed the desktop app for Dropbox on his Windows machine. The additional free space that I should've gotten for 1.22 GB is no where to be found. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

8 Replies 8

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @kaushdev, thanks for contacting us!

For a Basic plan, the referral quota would be for 500 MB in total for a single referral.

What is the status of the referral on this page?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

kaushdev
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

Thank you for your prompt response. Okay I see so it will 500MB. No problem. Thank you for correcting. Well, I do not see my friend's name in the list at all, let alone the status tbh. Here are the steps we followed to aid your troubleshooting:

1. First I invited him through the send email option on referral page. He waited for good 5-10 minutes but he never got the invitation email.
  2. Then I manually copied the invite link and sent him via regular email. He got link, clicked on it and Dropbox stated they have sent him the verification code which he again said he never got it. Perhaps my guess is it may've gone to his spam folder.
  3. So then I instructed him to use the forgot password link and reset, which he then was successfully able to reset and was able to log into his account.
  4. Once he did that he then said he was able to download the desktop app and was able to install.

So I don't know if any of the above workaround steps, I had instructed him to follow, was out of place and enough to cause disruption in your automated process? but I don't see his name in refer a friend list. Is there something that he needs to do which he hasn't done yet?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If he didn't click the link in the invite, then it would be similar to him not accepting any invite.

Since there is no email on your end on the referrals page confirming that an invitation was sent to them, this means that they created an account on their own, without any referral code to add any extra quota. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

kaushdev
Explorer | Level 3

No. I am sorry I don't know if you understood what I said. I said (my 2nd step) I copied the invite link and sent him the link via "regular" email so it is still an invitation using my referral link. Dropbox email sending option was not working. In other words he wasn't getting any email from Dropbox with the invitation, using Dropbox email send option. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @kaushdev - sorry to jump in here, but would it be OK if we sent you an email to have a further look internally? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

kaushdev
Explorer | Level 3

Sure no problem, Walter! 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @kaushdev, I just emailed you, so I'll see you there!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

kaushdev
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Hannah! I did see your email and responded back. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kaushdev Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?