cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My account keeps saying it's full - but it isn't

My account keeps saying it's full - but it isn't

frot
New member | Level 2

Hi - I have a 6.3 GB basic account with less that 1.2 GB of data in it, but I keep getting notifications saying the account is full, and it isn't syncing. I've double checked my folders and cleaned out all deleted items, but it makes no difference. I have been unable to contact any sort of support through the website, so am hoping someone might know how to fix this. Thanks.

364 Replies 364

Adnil
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Walter

I just uninstalled and reinstalled the desktop app on my Mac.  When I open the icon in my menu bar I see the same thing as in my previous screenshot - a list of files waiting to sync.

I also just found this [screenshot] under my Subscription info, in case that helps in some way.

So essentially, it still says my storage is full.

Screen Shot 2023-11-14 at 9.34.38 AM.png

 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi again, @Adnil!

Can you also try unlinking - relinking your Dropbox app? Is the issue fixed after that?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Adnil
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Nancy

I just clicked on my Dropbox icon in my menu bar and, amazingly, it now says I have 6.2GB of storage!  It does not say I'm out of storage any more!! So I am assuming it is OK now! Many thanks to the Dropbox team who stuck with me and helped me get this fixed! I appreciate your efforts very much!  

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

That’s great to hear, @Adnil, and it's been our pleasure! 

If you ever need something else, feel free to ping us.

Cheers!

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

bewe
Explorer | Level 4

Hello, I have 5.75 GB available in my free Dropbox.

Even though it's almost empty, it shows me over 5GB of data. Where are these consumed?
I can't upload anymore because it says I only have 2GB and should upgrade the rest.

I deleted all shared files and the space occupied increased! Asked dropbox for help but they only give support for paid accounts. No argument to get in!

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @bewe, I've merged you to this thread. Could you check the plan page to see where the quota is being used up?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Budidrums
New member | Level 2

Hi, I only have some shared folders from others, no own files on DB. My backup says 0 files. Still DB says my account of 2GB is almost full with 1.6GB, 1 GB of which are "normal files" (?), and 600MB of shared files - I don't remember ever having uploaded something. all community members state that shared folders of others don't take up my space.

I've been reading now for over an hour here, can't find the answer. How do I free up my space please?

I never synced anything on purpose, can't find the so called cache-folder (that's its German title) - why should I though if it's emptied automatically every 3 days? What to do please? thanks, Budi

Rich
Super User II

@Budidrums wrote:

all community members state that shared folders of others don't take up my space.

That's not true. Shared folders DO take up space in your account.

I never synced anything on purpose, can't find the so called cache-folder ...

Check the files in your account on the Dropbox website. If your Plan page is showing that you have 1GB of normal files, then you have files in your account that aren't shared with other people.

The cache folder doesn't take up space in your account. It's a hidden folder within the Dropbox folder on your local drive, and used while syncing your files. Under normal circumstances you don't need to touch it. Deleting anything in the cache wouldn't change the space used in your account, and could interfere with sync operations on your computer.

Budidrums
New member | Level 2

Thanks, ok, I don't mind 600MB. I wondered how or where to find those ominous 1GB of "my" files

And I just now deleted two files which someone shared with me but only I had access. Now there's space! I thought they were shared and not mine, that wasn't obvious to me. Sorry for that, I think problem is solved. Thanks for your help.

bewe
Explorer | Level 4

Hey Jay, thanks for helping me.
Although mostly all files have been deleted, even shared files and waste basket, it still shows more than 5 GB of data:
Speicherplatz.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Grahamdragon Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?