cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My account keeps saying it's full - but it isn't

My account keeps saying it's full - but it isn't

frot
New member | Level 2

Hi - I have a 6.3 GB basic account with less that 1.2 GB of data in it, but I keep getting notifications saying the account is full, and it isn't syncing. I've double checked my folders and cleaned out all deleted items, but it makes no difference. I have been unable to contact any sort of support through the website, so am hoping someone might know how to fix this. Thanks.

364 Replies 364

ArneLaugwitz
Explorer | Level 3

Dear Google, dear Dropbox-admins, dear Nancy. 
I have the same problem. Since some time Dropbox stopped synchronisation, ande is telling me memory is full, need to upgrade for more than 2GB. But there is 1 file only, less than 1 MB. No other sharings/folders etc. It´s very strange. But I need dropbox for this one shared file that I use on many other devices. If dropbox cannot solve that I will go with anouther cloud. That´s horrible.

Arne

Mark
Super User II

Shared folders use up everybody's Dropbox - so if it was in your account it used your data. 

You need to delete the files from www.dropbox.com/home AND / OR leave the Shares from www.dropbox.com/share

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mark
Super User II

Hi Arne

Have you looked at the backup page as has already been suggested? 

www.dropbox.com/backups

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ArneLaugwitz
Explorer | Level 3

Hello and good day. Thank you for the link. I never found that myself. Yes, there was an anonymous external disc shown. What the hell, I never made a backup of such external disc, neither my external memories are at the computer. I deleted that entry - and  yippie yeah - dropbox is running. strange...... but result postive. Thank you for this hint !

Adnil
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Nancy.  Here are the 2 screenshots you requested.

Screen Shot 2023-11-11 at 12.43.34 PM.png

 

Screen Shot 2023-11-11 at 12.47.06 PM.png

 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Adnil, thanks for the screenshots! 

It seems your account is using way more space, past its allocated quota. 

You'd essentially need to bring that 18.9GB below 6.24GB. You mentioned you already tried to free-up space using your app, but have you also tried erasing content online first? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

EtiennevanDam
Explorer | Level 4

Dear Frot: it happened to me. These are the indications to solve your problem. They are in Spanish and I don't have time now to help you with the translation, but I will have some time. If you don't manage to solve your problem, write to me at [removed]* and we'll take it from there. 

En CHROME abrir una pestaña
Del listado de la izquierda el último es "Archivos eliminados"
Elegirlo
Aparecen todos los que eliminé
Marcar el primero, Shift y el último
A la derecha aparece "eliminar permanentemente"
Click
Debería haber reducido los Gb usados

*[personal information removed per the Community's Guidelines]

EtiennevanDam
Explorer | Level 4

Got cut off: sorry about that. Here's the second part:

https://www.dropbox.com/backups/PC

Allí aparece un directorio MUY PESADO llamado "DROPBOX BACKUP" arriba a la izquierda
en el que Dropbox acumula todo, TODO, y que no sirve para nada si es que uno hace
su propio backup de la nube periódicamente. Lo hacen para que uno se desespere y
termine comprando Gb que sí se pagan y mucho.

Good luck! Etienne van Dam

Adnil
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Megan!  It seems we are making progress on this. I deleted all folders online dropbox.com, and now it shows no GB used.  But, I still have the desktop app that shows no storage available.  See screenshot.  And there is still a listing of waiting files to sync [which I set to not sync, indefinitely].  Also, I see the folders, etc. that I deleted from Dropbox are listed in 'deleted' and can be restored for 30 days.  Is there a way to totally delete these files/folders also? So I start with a totally clean slate? You have been very helpful Megan. I hope you can continue to help me with the desktop app and the deleted files!

Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 9.35.35 AM.png

 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Adnil - sorry to jump in here, but I was wondering, have you quit and relaunched the app since you deleted those files from the website?

You might need to resume syncing as well, for the app to sync your changes.

As for permanently deleting your files, you can take a look here.

I hope this helps! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Grahamdragon Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?