cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is shared content taking up my space? It doesn't seem to go down.

Is shared content taking up my space? It doesn't seem to go down.

DebbieSB59
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I seem to have several problems mentioned in the community with the storage.  I have a client that has shared a large about of pictures for me to get info from. I haven't used Dropbox for a while (I've even gotten a new computer since then), and it said I was out of storage.  I deleted all my files (permanently) so it's just the pics and though the space did go down a little it's still too much. I also saw a reply about this about making sure that Dropbox isn't backing up anything-I don't even see that option anywhere. My client tells me that since he is sharing the files with me that the space shouldn't be taken up on my account. Is that right? I am only using Dropbox for file sharing. I don't use the sync or any other apps/options. I can get 15MG for free on Google Drive, but my client doesn't want to do that so I'm stuck here. I really don't think I should be paying for more space when it seems that it should be on my client's account. Please let me know how to work this all out. FYI I'm using Windows 11 and Chrome is my browser.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @DebbieSB59, welcome to our Community!

Keep in mind that if your client shared a folder directly with you, then yes, it would take up your Dropbox space.

Essentially, the folder exists in their account, and you also keep a copy of the folder. 

Have you checked both your plan page, and your Backup page online, to see what you can find about that? Both of these pages will help you, and give you an idea as to what is taking up space inside your account. 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @DebbieSB59, welcome to our Community!

Keep in mind that if your client shared a folder directly with you, then yes, it would take up your Dropbox space.

Essentially, the folder exists in their account, and you also keep a copy of the folder. 

Have you checked both your plan page, and your Backup page online, to see what you can find about that? Both of these pages will help you, and give you an idea as to what is taking up space inside your account. 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

DebbieSB59
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks so much. My client was definitely wrong about how files are shared. I'm not using backup, but I see on my plan page that almost all the space is taken up by those pics. I'll just have to work something out with him. I'm just glad I wasn't doing something wrong 🙂

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No problem @DebbieSB59!

If you need anything else, you know where to find us! 😎

Megan
dropbox.com/support

crissybogusz
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi guys

Is anyone around to offer some quick help? I pay for a large amount of storage on my dropbox and have just created a folder for a client to upload a large file, i have more than enough storage space. I've shared the folder with the client's email address, they should just be able to drop their file in there right? But they're saying they can't because it's maxing them out of their own dropbox storage. I thought if i shared a folder with someone and made them able to edit, they'd be able to drop in files without even needing a dropbox account because they'd have access to my folder / thereforemy account and storage. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @crissybogusz 

Shared folders use the quota of all people within the share. 

However, what you could do is send the person a Requests Link to upload to you: https://help.dropbox.com/share/create-file-request

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

crissybogusz
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Great thank you. I did that but it capped his upload at 2gb. Is there any way around that?? I have a 2 TB Dropbox so more than enough space on my end.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@crissybogusz wrote:
Great thank you. I did that but it capped his upload at 2gb. Is there any way around that?? I have a 2 TB Dropbox so more than enough space on my end.

The size limit of a file transfer is based on your account level. Plus and Family accounts can receive files up to 2GB. If you want to receive files larger than 2GB, you'd need to upgrade to Professional which allows you to receive files up to 100GB.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    crissybogusz Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?