cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No data in account but says im out of storage in a 2gig storage area. Where is the data?

Incorrect dropbox space usage on windows

storion
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Guys,

My local Windows Dropbox is fully synced with my online Dropbox.  Windows Explorer file/properties shows my Dropbox folder is 576 MB but to my surprise, dropbox.com and dropbox app both say my dropbox is full. I have checked the plan tab and found my regular file size is 3.4 GB which is not correct. My shared folder only takes less than 100 MB. What is going on here? Why the discrepancy? Any inputs?

Thanks,

Tao

675 Replies 675

Ndomain
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
No data in account but says im out of storage in a 2gig storage area. Where is the data?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @tenpaiyomi, thanks for bringing this to our attention; that's strange indeed.

Are you trying to add the shared folder from the email you received about it or directly from the "shared" tab?

And @Jamb0tam, I moved your post to this relevant thread, so let's see what we can find out about this.

What does the plan tab in your account settings report about your space usage?

Also, is it possible that the emails are going to a different address than your main one?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

tenpaiyomi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Hannah

Attempting to add from the email I received.  I just checked on the shared tab (hadn't even noticed that, I almost always use the app) and it notes the folder is too large for the space I have (which makes sense, it's 5GB), but the "you must upgrade" page doesn't give any sort of correct indication about the space available, used, or how much is needed.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Ndomain, sorry to hear about this; what does your plan tab say about how much space you're using?

Do you have any shared folders or backups that might be taking up your space?

@tenpaiyomi, oh, I see.

I understand where you're coming from, thanks for clarifying.

I'll make sure to pass your comments along to our team about this and if you need anything else, just let us know.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

tenpaiyomi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Hannah

For reference to pass along as well, this is what the upgrade page looks like, noting that the current plan simply lists 3.3GB of 2GB

tenpaiyomi_0-1688431242365.png

Jamb0tam
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Hannah, my Plan page says I have 2gB of storage space and that I've used 0 bytes of 2 gB.

The emails are going to my main address. My windows properties shows 933mB of files.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Jamb0tam, sorry to jump in here! 

Can you make sure that your account settings online, match with the main email address you're checking? We just want to exclude the possibility of having two separate Dropbox accounts. 

Also, feel free to send me a screenshot of the message that you received, just make sure none of your personal info is shown there. Thanks! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Jamb0tam
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Megan, the email address in settings is the same as my main email address.

It occured to me that I may have had a Dropbox account under an old email address that I no longer use. Is it possible that it's this one which is getting the messages? I can't screen shot the message as it's a pop up box which pops up every now and again.

I tried logging into the old account, but I got sent a code to my old email address which is no longer in use.

Jamb0tam
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The code was sent to my message box rather than my email address, so I was able to log in. It seems that it's the old account which is nearly full! Should I just delete this account or could that cause more problems?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Jamb0tam, you should be able to delete the account, just make sure you download, and keep any files you might need. 

Thanks! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?