cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: external hard drive to drop box

I can't back up my external drive to Dropbox because my account is full, even though I have 3TB.

Dj Flawless One
Explorer | Level 3

hello guys im trying hard to put my external hard drive 2tb almost full to drop box but it keep saying if full storeage but i got 3tb on dropbox so there no way its full how do i finsh my upload to drop box 

i also need it to be in a folder for an app called mixo there i can view my music arcoss all my devices 

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@Dj Flawless One wrote:

im trying hard to put my external hard drive 2tb almost full to drop box but it keep saying if full storeage but i got 3tb on dropbox so there no way its full

Take a screenshot of your space usage from your Plan page and post it here. It will look like this;

dd6b9f40ad9f4f328f7e0eee6df1da3f.png

i also need it to be in a folder for an app called mixo there i can view my music arcoss all my devices

How are you uploading the content of the drive to Dropbox? Did you drag a copy into your local Dropbox folder so it can sync, or are you using the Backup feature to back up the drive to Dropbox? If you're using the backup feature, other apps won't be able to access the files because it's a backup, and not stored with your regular files.

Dj Flawless One
Explorer | Level 3
Yes I think it is backing up or something but I also dragged it into the app folder and some have went in the other larger folder my drop box has a lot of storage left but it seems that my MacBook doesn’t have enough storage to support the transfer I have 1tb storage on my Mac 600gb are free I think the last folder that needs to transfer is 1000gb or something like that but I don’t get why it would need my Mac space unless it has to up load it to my Mac before it goes to the drop box

Rich
Super User II

@Dj Flawless One wrote:
Yes I think it is backing up or something but I also dragged it into the app folder ... but I don’t get why it would need my Mac space unless it has to up load it to my Mac before it goes to the drop box

If you drag the content to the Dropbox folder on your computer, you're storing the files locally so they can sync. This takes up space on your local drive. Dropbox can only sync the files in the local Dropbox folder, and it can't sync files from your external drive directly to your account online.

After files have been uploaded, you can either mark then as Online-only so they don't take up local drive space, or you use Selective Sync to complete remove a synced folder from your local drive while leaving it in your account online. Working in small batches and you'll be able to upload some files, make them online-only to free space, then upload some more.

The Backup feature will send the external drive directly to Dropbox, but the content won't be accessible in your Dropbox folder structure. It goes to a special backup area that's only accessible through Dropbox.com.

Need more support?