cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Sync Folder Structure and File Names to the Cloud While Keeping Files Offline

How to Sync Folder Structure and File Names to the Cloud While Keeping Files Offline

tob145
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

I’ve just got a new computer, and I’m trying to sync my folder structure and file names to the cloud (Dropbox Family). However, I want to make sure that most of the files stay in the cloud and don’t take up space on my local drive, except for the ones I specifically choose to keep offline.

Does anyone know how to achieve this? I’d appreciate any advice or tool recommendations that can help me with this setup.

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DBoxTips
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution
Since they have the cloud icon, that’s good. The “downloading” status can be confusing, but in your scenario (you checked folders in selective sync) it means it is just downloading the metadata needed to create the local folder structure and file placeholders. So you’re good, no need to worry.

Hope this helps,
Andrew (DBoxTips)

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

DBoxTips
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution
Hello @tob145,

By default when setting up Dropbox on a new computer it should sync the folder structure and files within as “online-only”, so that you can browse the structure, but files stay online and don’t take up space on your local drive unless you open them or specifically make them available offline via the Dropbox context menu.

Are you seeing a different behavior?

Cheers,
Andrew (DBoxTips)

tob145
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for your kind reply. When I first installed Dropbox in my new computer, I selected which folders I wanted to sync using Selective Sync. Now, I see that all the files and folders are 'syncing' and 'downloading', but it seems that only the names, not the actual files/folders, are being synced. It also appears that they aren't occupying storage space, but I am not entirely sure. Am I explaining myself? Cheers.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @tob145, do the files and folders in your Dropbox folder have any syncing icons on them, and if so, what kind of icon?

What device are you using, a Windows or Mac device, as the icons could be different?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

tob145
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hi. I'm using a Mac, and most of the files have a cloud icon. I know that means the files are in the cloud, but the app keeps saying that they are downloading. I just want to be sure that despite that, the files are not really downloading but just the names, so to speak. I realized that to have all the folders and files available offline, I had to select all the folders in Selective Sync. It's confusing.. Thanks

DBoxTips
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution
Since they have the cloud icon, that’s good. The “downloading” status can be confusing, but in your scenario (you checked folders in selective sync) it means it is just downloading the metadata needed to create the local folder structure and file placeholders. So you’re good, no need to worry.

Hope this helps,
Andrew (DBoxTips)

tob145
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Thanks a lot.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

tob145 Helpful | Level 5
    DBoxTips Experienced | Level 11
    Jay Dropbox Staff