cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I unselect the "Join the folder" option & delete 5 videos from my storage?

How do I unselect the "Join the folder" option & delete 5 videos from my storage?

EJL1
Explorer | Level 3

We use Dropbox only because that's how the company that digitizes our old 3/4" videos provides the link.  The first 3 times I used dropbox to download the videos to microsoft files it was quite simple:  I just tapped download either in the upper left corner or download to the right of the video line.  Depending on the size of the file, the download was either almost instantaneous or could take up to 1/2 hour.  Now I find that the "Join Folder" tab is seemingly permanently hilighted;  also, my download requests (almost 50) were denied by microsoft explorer because of "permissions".  After about 1 hour all 50 previously denied downloads started up (don't know why or how),and I was able to figure out how to cancel a large portion of them.  Now I have 15 downloads in my files (I will delete 14 of them once I understand what I have).  I also found out that I have videos in storage on Dropbox.  I DO NOT want to use Dropbox for storage - I'm perfectly happy with microsoft files for now, and they're cheaper for my purposes and projected storage needs.    How do I de-select this "Join Folder" thing and how do I delete the 5 videos from storage?  If anyone answers me (Please!), speak to me as though I am an infant Martian since in this case, I may as well be

14 Replies 14

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @EJL1, welcome to our Community! 

I'm guessing that you see the option to "join the folder" as to become a permanent member of it. However, would you mind sending over a screenshot of the option, in order for me to have  a visual too? 

As for deleting the videos off of your Dropbox account, you should be able to follow these steps, in order to achieve it. If these are shared content, let me know and I'll be happy to provide you the next steps.

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

EJL1
Explorer | Level 3

Megan - okay, I warned you that I'm a Martian newborn and here's the proof:  I had to look up how to take a screenshot, I did it and it worked and now I have it in my files.  When I tried to figure out how to send it to you, the "Authentication" failed when I tapped reply...I am obviously and painfully uneducated in 99.9% of basic computer use.  Regardless...the "Join folder" option is the only one of 4 ("Join". "Copy", "Download" and "Share").  I could not de-select by tapping Join or any of the other 3 options.  It is the only one now with white print on a black background (the other three are black on white).  If my inabilities make it impossible for you to help me, I fully understand, and thanks for trying 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Don't worry about this @EJL1, we'll take it step by step!

You should be able to attach a screenshot here, by replying back to me and clicking the camera-like icon that looks like that

As for the option to join the folder: when do you see that option? What steps do you follow on your end before you get there? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

EJL1
Explorer | Level 3

Okay, let's try...2024-07-08.png2024-07-08.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @EJL1 - I hope it's OK for me to jump in here.

Can you please clarify if the link(s) to the files/folders you're trying to access and/or download were shared with you with view-only rights or edit ones instead?

Also, do you get the same results after clearing your browser's cache or on another browser

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

EJL1
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Walter - trying to carry on conversations with you and Megan has demonstrated how little I understand. 

The links are sent to me by Chicago Scanning (the company that is digitizing our old 3/4' videos).  They send the link in an email.  I open the email and tap the link.  I am sent directly to the page on Dropbox that we're talking about where I can download the digitized videos to my files (the awful screenshots from my last communication).

They give me no rights to view or edit - we own the videos.

I'm not sure I understand what clearing my browser's cache means - closing the tab/window?

I almost always use Google for convenience; my files are Microsoft Explorer, so that's where they ultimately get sent.

I should also point out that even though I'm getting the same "can't respond" notice from Explorer (that mentions permissions), the videos are downloading - it just takes 15 minutes or so to start.

Don't know if this means anything to you...ask me some more questions...I'll try to answer cogently... 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me as well, @EJL1!

I saw in your screenshots that there's a banner at the bottom of the page, providing some info about the "join folder" option.

Can you click "OK" there, to see if the other options are clickable afterwards?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

EJL1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, Hannah - I clicked "ok" on the banner - the banner disappeared - the download option was clickable - the video downloaded - this has been what's happening all along.  I still don't see why the "Join" option is highlighted and why I'm getting these "can't download-no permissions" notices in my file even though the downloads seem to be working.  I mean, am I just supposed to ignore them?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @EJL1!

In regards to the "join" option, it's safe to assume that this is a shared link that was sent to you with editing permissions. Would you mind checking with the owner of the link about this? 

If that's the case then that's normal. 

As for the "can't download-no permissions" messages you mentioned, I'm not sure when you get this, and if this happens on Dropbox or not. Do you maybe have a screenshot of that? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

EJL1 Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?