cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files on Dropbox are still on my hard drive, why?

Files on Dropbox are still on my hard drive, why?

Suzanne W.4
Explorer | Level 4

The whole point of using Dropbox was to store my files externally from my hard drive to free up space.  Now it seems those files are still on my hard drive.  What is the advantage of using Dropbox other than a backup? 

31 Replies 31

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Suzanne W.4, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

The Dropbox service is primarily to sync files between devices, and not to backup files offsite. This means that the files would remain on your machine, and deleting them from there would delete them from the site. 

Depending on your plan, you could mark files as available online-only, so they don't take up any space, or use the selective sync feature to remove entire folders from your Dropbox folder.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Suzanne W.4
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for your input.  How do I find out which plan I have.  Looks like those suggestions would solve my problem.

Suzanne W.4
Explorer | Level 4

I found out I have Dropbox Professional.  Are the solutions you offered available for that level?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Yes, you should be able to mark files and folders as available online-only with a paid plan. 

Selective sync is available for all plans, so that is always an option.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Suzanne W.4
Explorer | Level 4
I’ve navigated to my Dropbox folder on my Mac, right clicked a folder but there is no option to make it on line only. I’ve tried to put a screen shot in this reply but it was not possible to paste.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

It wouldn't be possible to do it by right clicking in Finder. 

To use selective sync, you have to do it via the Dropbox desktop application by opening the app preferences and going into the Sync tab.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Suzanne W.4
Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox is not in my list of applications.  Here is the path where I found it BUT when right clicking there is no app preferences.  This is the path where I found Dropbox:  "Suzanne's MacBook Pro---Users-----****------Dropbox.  What am I missing here? 

Rich
Super User II

@Suzanne W.4 wrote:

Dropbox is not in my list of applications. ... What am I missing here? 

If you have the Dropbox application installed and it's running, you'll see a Dropbox icon in your menu bar, near the day/time. This is the icon that you need to single-click to get to the Dropbox menu.

menu-bar.png

This is the path where I found Dropbox:  "Suzanne's MacBook Pro---Users-----suzannewalker------Dropbox.

That would likely be the Dropbox folder, where your files are stored, and not the application itself.

Suzanne W.4
Explorer | Level 4

It is not in my menu bar.  As far as I know it is running.  I have a new Mac and everything was transferred over.  I don't know how to make Dropbox appear in my menu bar.  On the old Mac it did appear there.  Any more help will be appreciated. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Suzanne W.4 Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?