cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exceeding Dropbox Basic storage and need to delete any duplicate files

Exceeding Dropbox Basic storage and need to delete any duplicate files

Skell
Explorer | Level 4

Hi

I have exceeded the 2 gb of free Dropbox Basic storage (in UK) - only by a small amount but it has stopped syncing. I do not want to upgrade, so am hoping to delete or find duplicated documents to delete.

I only use Dropbox to backup my laptop.  The one folder I back up is size 1.74 gb (as found on the Properties bit on the laptop).

I have deleted some files but it hasn't made much difference. I just have a feeling I am somehow duplicating back up items.

1) My Personal Dropbox storage states it's full with 733.3 mb 'Regular Files' and 1.3 gb 'Backup'.  I'm not sure of the difference here, is there a chance Regular Files are duplicated and included in Backup?  Hoping I can delete Regular Files.  I have no shared files.

2) As well as my one folder Dropbox says I am backing up 'Desktop', size is 170 mb.  Do I need to back up Desktop?

Thank you for any help you can give.

Skell

9 Replies 9

Mark
Super User II

Yes they probably are duplicated. But dont forget that they work as 2 different systems. So backup wont let you edit/change/share etc. it is just a 'container' of all files. You cannot get things out to do with it anything - it restores it all. 

As for desktop - that's only something you can decide...

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Skell
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Mark

Thank you for replying so quickly.

Apologies but I only have a very basic knowledge of Dropbox. 

I don't know what the 2 different systems are that you refer to.

I'm backing documents up in case my laptop ever stops working. I presume that I can download documents from my Dropbox backup and save them to a new laptop and then be able to edit them, etc as I wish?

Is that correct?

Also, how would I delete the Regular Files - as they are only noted on the coloured bar in the overview of my account showing the storage breakdown? Where are they actually listed?

Thank you.

Skell

Mark
Super User II

Hi @Skell 

Yes thats how backup works. 

However, what I mean is that the backup files are pretty much locked to that. 

You cannot do things like you can the regular unbacked up ones. For example share between devices (so open them on a phone, or a laptop), share them with a family friend etc. 

Those files show at www.dropbox.com/home

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Skell
Explorer | Level 4
Hi Mark,

I’d quite like to just delete the whole folder and save it afresh, in Backup. I hope that would get rid of any duplications.

Can I do that?
Will I need to delete my whole Dropbox account and start again? I’m happy to do that if I can.

Many thanks
Skell

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Skell, thanks for reaching out to us.

Before you delete anything, you'll need to make sure that your backups are correct, to avoid losing any files you need.

So, I can understand that you currently have files in two places in your Dropbox; one is your backups and one is your normal Dropbox directory.

Your normal Dropbox files, like Mark suggested, can be found here.

And your backed up files can be found here.

Do you see that you have stored the same files in both places?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Skell
Explorer | Level 4
Hi Hannah

Just to stress my knowledge of Dropbox is so limited, so bear with me.

All I wanted to do with Dropbox was to back up my documents. So I have all my original documents on my laptop as normal, hopefully backing up/syncing to Dropbox regularly.

I would then never normally access Dropbox at all unless my laptop ‘broke’ it or was stolen.

I wasn’t aware I had a Dropbox directory, I thought I just had Dropbox backups. My files/documents are all just on my laptop.

I’m happy to delete all documents in my Dropbox backups and start again as I have all the correct versions on my laptop so can re-save over to Dropbox.

Can I just delete all documents from my Dropbox account OR do I need to delete my Dropbox account totally and re-start with a new account?

Many thanks
Skell

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me as well, @Skell! You could delete your Dropbox backups without deleting your Dropbox account altogether. However, that’s not necessary. 

Did you compare the files you see at your Home page here with your backups? Do you see any duplicate files that you can delete from your Home page and free up space?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Skell
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Nancy

Thank you for your reply.

Forgive me but I don't understand why I  need to spend time searching for duplications or even versions of saved documents on Backup that aren't actually the latest version as my syncing stopped a while back. 

Surely it is much quicker for me to just delete everything saved in Backup and set Dropbox to start backing up afresh the one folder that I need backed up,  as of today.  This folder, on my laptop, has everything I want saved.  Can I do that?  I just feel that somewhere along the line a lot of duplication has happened in my backups, which is why I have run out of space.

Thank you.

Skell

Thank you

Skell

Skell
Explorer | Level 4

Hi

I have now deleted my Backup and started again, so I now have under 2 gb of backup.

Thank you for your help.

Skell

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Skell Explorer | Level 4
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?