cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox app fills up entirely the local iPhone storage

Dropbox app fills up entirely the local iPhone storage

Vincehood
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I have a Dropbox Plus account which I share between my Mac, my Android Galaxy S21 and my wife iPhone SE. I am currently using only 22,1% of the 2 TB on my account.

On her iPhone, Dropbox is set-up to upload all her pictures to Dropbox but it keeps filling up the local storage. The iPhone runs IOS 16.2 with Dropbox 310.3. It has 64GB storage. 36 GB are used locally for pictures.  The goal is to sync all these pictures to Dropbox in order to reclaim the local space.

I tried several times and each time Dropbox ends-up filling up the iPhone local storage with 6.2 GB data! How is it possible?

I have read similar threads in this forum and applied the suggested corrective actions without success namely:

-clear Dropbox cache

-remove Dropbox app

-restart iPhone

-re-install Dropbox app

There is no backup, no offline files set-up on the iPhone.

Do you have any suggestion? Currently the presence of the Dropbox app on the iPhone makes the iPhone totally unusable since it runs out of space.

It is a quite serious issue!

Any suggestion?

Best Regards

/Vincent

11 Replies 11

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Yes, my suggestion was only to ensure that the images were taken off the phone this one time, since the app isn't working normally. 

After that, once the images are gone, you can return to using the mobile app, since there would be no old images to fill up the cache.

Aside from that, the only other method would be to let the app continue uploading from the phone slowly

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

KylanRiggs
New member | Level 2

I'd suggest making sure that the Dropbox app on her iPhone is set to upload photos in ""Original Quality"" rather than ""High Quality."" High-quality uploads may not reduce the local storage usage as effectively. Review her Camera Uploads folder in Dropbox to make sure it doesn't contain any duplicate photos. Sometimes, duplicates can take up unnecessary space.Also, use the ""Selective Sync"" feature in Dropbox settings. This allows you to choose which folders to sync to her iPhone, reducing local storage usage. You can check out some articles on the topic at applevox.com. They have some good tech-related advice.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

KylanRiggs New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Vincehood Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?