cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster: Dropbox removing external disk support for Mac users :(

Disaster: Dropbox removing external disk support for Mac users :(

Jon C.10
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

In case anyone's unaware... if you're a Mac user storing your Dropbox on an external drive, you'll shortly lose that ability.

https://talk.tidbits.com/t/dropbox-drops-support-for-storing-files-on-an-external-drive-and-onedrive...

https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-support-for-expected-changes

Just confirmed this with DB support (see below).  Gutted - been with Dropbox for years and our entire video team flow is based around it 😕

>Hi there, I read today that you are scrapping the ability to store the Dropbox folder on external disks, on OSX. I'd like to ask more about this please.

> Hello Jon, and thank you for contacting Dropbox Support. My name is Joseph, and I will be more than happy to look into your request, right away.  

That is correct Jon, as part of the Dropbox for macOS update, the Dropbox folder must be located in ~/Library/CloudStorage.

>This is a showstopper for us, and will mean we have to move to another service. We have a large distributed team using DB for video work, no way it'll fit within internal drives.
Is there a workaround?

> I totally understand and I apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, there is no workaround on this as changing the location of your Dropbox folder is no longer supported by macOS.

>This change doesn't seem to have hit us yet - we're running a variety of machines inc Ventura
What will trigger its enforcement? Can we stay on an earlier OS or Dropbox version?

>The updates happening automatically every time the Dropbox app is restarting, for example if your device never restarts it should maintain the older version but we can't guarantee full functionality on older versions of the application.

>So what will happen - if we have a Dropbox folder on an 8TB drive and a tiny internal drive - will it try to clone stuff across and eat up the space? What's the mechanism?

>That's right, it will try to move the content on your internal drive until it has no space and gives you an error.

>Is Smartsync still supported? I.e. will it move stuff to being online only if it won't fit?

>It is, however it is now known as online-only.

691 Replies 691

ArthurPix
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

@psalcal I agree with everything you say.

Bluebicycle
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
Arthur pix but there’s no way a single ended non mirrored internal drive can compete with multiple SSD Raid Arrays of many Terrabytes, like we use.

I do believe Apple are doing it for reasons of security and I also think Dropbox will solve it and maintain the Status Quo. It makes no sense to think this is purely about vested interest.

ArthurPix
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

@shinbeth no that won’t happen, because if it doesn’t get fixed by mid-November, Dropbox is canceled.

ArthurPix
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

@Bluebicycle Agreed on both counts.

ArthurPix
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

@Bluebicycle Let me enlarge on this. There was a time, years ago, when I found that Finder was crashing whenever I uploaded files exceeding a certain size, not especially large, but let’s say over 30mb. I received some very helpful advice from a tech who told me that Dropbox, OneDrive and pretty much every cloud storage provider had to operate their magic by loading their software into a Finder or Browser extension — and that it was a similar state of affairs in Windows. This created an inherently unstable star of affairs — which could be more dangerous than subjecting me to the occasional crash. Because, as certain types of “hats” know very well, a predictable crash can also be called an EXPLOIT, which provides a large hole that’s perfect for for the injection of malware.

I know this problem was patched in a hurry, because there was an update after which I never experienced the predictable crashes again. But I’m certain that, ever since, Apple, Microsoft and quite a few third-party cloud storage providers have been laboring into the wee hours to create a VERY stable, inherently stable API for online storage.

So I do agree with you that Apple did not create this new API for the purpose of selling internal storage, but to make MacOS, iOS and iPadOS more resistant to malware injection. Unfortunately, this also makes it much harder for cloud storage providers to support external drives. AND I agree with you that the ideal hardware platform for the online file systems like Dropbox or Sync is a RAID with dual redundancy, like the ones upon which you and I rely.

Let’s hope that Dropbox figures out how to support us sooner rather than later. While I’m rather comfortable with Sync.com, I’d much rather have an end-to-end encrypted Dropbox that supports external drives and, in particular, external RAIDs. Dropbox is unique among cloud storage providers in its creature comforts, and I’d rather have my cake and eat it too. make sense to you?

shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

To be honest I'm well aware that Dropbox is probably not meeting all the security specs that it should, I'm also very annoyed that they don't provide the choice to pick storage servers in Europe because I don't trust the Americans at all 🙂 But I don't really care because I will never upload sensitive information in my Dropbox folder, so the NSA can screen all they want and the hackers can inject and leak anything they want, I won't be bothered, but all I want is larger storage plans haha.

So I found my ideal solution until then. I'm keeping Dropbox 3 (+1) TB Pro plan that's the Dropbox folder with 4TB max. And I'm having the remaining 4-6TB with sync.com Pro plan, in the Sync.com folder (located on my hard drive for now, until I upgrade next MacBook Pro) with 4-6TB. That's 8-10TB total.

When Dropbox comes up with larger data plans, I will transfer the 4-6TB back into Dropbox. Until then, no more of my money other than the Pro plan to Dropbox. Your call Dropbox 🙂 If you don't want to make more money, you loss!

Note: if Apple doesn't release more than 8TB in the next MBP M3, I'll put some of it on an external drive like the SanDisk 4TB. So yeah Dropbox, I agree with this thread, you better work out this external storage sync issue asap for Apple users!

Ru 1971
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@shinbeth >>When Dropbox comes up with larger data plans, I will transfer the 4-6TB back into Dropbox

F.F.S can you stop spamming this thread about your personal storage needs!

This thread is purely about *where* the data is stored!

Either start a new thread about your needs, or maybe join in on the many existing threads?

ArthurPix
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

@shinbeth Sync isn't a US company. The company and its servers are in Canada, making it ideal for anyone worried about the NSA, and its encryption is TNO (Trust No One, in the words of Steve Gibson), true end-to-end, so your data is safe as can be with them. If you actually had an online storage provider in Europe, it would probably be MORE (not less) susceptible to intrusion by national intelligence authorities. 

P.S, Soon it seems Drobox too will be true end-to-end encrypted as well.

ArthurPix
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

@Ru 1971 I agree with you that we're getting topic drift here.

Also, keeping on the topic of where Dropbox is stored-- isn't it interesting that not one user has commented that "I'm happy keeping my Dropbox on my Internal Drive." I for one am still paying for my MacBook Pro M1 Extreme, purchased in 9/2022.  I purposely bought it loaded so I wouldn't have to buy another for at least 4 more years! But for me, "loaded" means "equipped with the fastest processor, 32 GB RAM and 2T Internal SSD."

I expect most users who recently upgraded their Mac have a similar story to tell. How much internal storage, I wonder, does the typical Mac power user buy? I've been ordering 2 terabytes going back to my Windows days.

So I have 2T on both desktop and laptop, both of which were purchased within the past year. On both, I rely on external storage to house all folders from online providers--with the exception of one folder containing data updated whenever I go through email.

Does anyone in this thread have more than 2T? If I'm right that the answer is "nearly nobody," our URGENT concern about support for external drives may be nearly universal among power users — and even more prevalent among casual users, who may have 256-512GB.

shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution
Fair enough guys… I will not mention it, for a while at least 🙂

Good luck to us all!
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mkaufman Helpful | Level 6
    BenDBX Community Manager
    lozzarozza Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?