cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Calculate all folder sizes

Calculate all folder sizes

invisiblehelmet
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How do I calculate the size of multiple folders at once?

I'm trying to find the largest folders on my Dropbox, so I can delete them. I'd like to calculate the file size of all folders on my account. I can calculate the folder sizes one by one following the directions in this forum, but when I select multiple folders, the "calculate size" option is no longer available.

thanks!

19 Replies 19

sysadminz
New member | Level 2

Same problem but I don't see ellipses --- I'm seeing Create, Upload, Create Folder.Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 7.18.33 AM.png

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@sysadminz, The ellipses are still there (a bit bellow, when you have selected folders), but "Calculate Size" is stripped unfortunately. 🤷

изображение.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @sysadminz, the ellipsis would be on the right of the folder when viewing it from the parent folder above, like so.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Jay, The topic is for multiple folders selection! 🙋 Why was this stripped?

Andywinter
Helpful | Level 5

@Jay   Indeed - but this thread is about calculating the size of ALL folders - and that function does not exist.  Obviously Dropbox would prefer users to purchase additional space rather than providing a tool that would help us to do housekeeping. 

sysadminz
New member | Level 2

@Jay,@Andywinter, @Здравко

So if I am reading the tea leaves correctly from here and another posts, this functionality used to be there but has been removed.  Right?  @Jay can you comment on why removed and how we get it back?  Thanks.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi everyone, hope it’s OK to jump in. 

Unfortunately, we’re unable to comment on product decisions, but I can surely pass on the feedback to our team. We'll share any updates on this here.

Thanks!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Jacob21
New member | Level 2

Well if this isnt a reason to go to Google drive instead I dont know what is. "unable to comment on product decisions" ... Just make it easy for us to use your product as efficiently as possible. 

hsandt
Explorer | Level 3

@Здравко

This doesn't work anymore. The top 3-dots button still appears when selecting multiple folders, but doesn't show Calculate size anymore, just a few commands like Move and Download:

hsandt_0-1724589168753.png

When clicking on the 3-dots button on the right of a single folder line, it cancels multi-selection and only selects the clicked folder.

So currently you have to Calculate each folder size one by one...

@hsandt wrote:

This doesn't work anymore. The top 3-dots button still appears when selecting multiple folders, but doesn't show Calculate size anymore, just a few commands like Move and Download:

hsandt_0-1724589168753.png

When clicking on the 3-dots button on the right of a single folder line, it cancels multi-selection and only selects the clicked folder.

So currently you have to Calculate each folder size one by one...

Yes, it is so unfortunately. 🤷 Better don't rely this gets changed. It's always easier to remove something - something ready and working...🤦 (even when no clear why)

Need more support?