cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being forced to upgrade due to a shared folder

Being forced to upgrade due to a shared folder

AlexFong
New member | Level 2

I am using Dropbox to access a shared folder owned by someone else with my basic account. I don't have any other files or folders but I get a message saying that I have to upgrade? Why? The owner is paying for their space. This seems like double dipping by Dropbox. 

3 Replies 3

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox shared folders use the quota up of everybody in the share. So if you want access you need to pay. 

If you don't need edit access ask for a Shared Link instead. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

AlexFong
New member | Level 2

Thanks. Seems like double dipping on Dropbox's part but what choice does one have other than OneDrive, Egnyte, Box,...

Mark
Super User II

@AlexFong wrote:

Thanks. Seems like double dipping on Dropbox's part but what choice does one have other than OneDrive, Egnyte, Box,...

Exactly, the open and free market is a wonderful commodity. If Dropbox isn't meeting your needs hopefully another provider can 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    AlexFong New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?