cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Also Lost Earned Space - Please help?

Also Lost Earned Space - Please help?

Sue-PSC
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Our agency has been successfully using Dropbox for about 11 years. Over that time, we'd added several clients, resulting in "earned storage space".  A couple months ago I suddenly lost all of that extra space and am limited to the original free storage amount.  We'd never before had a storage problem as we keep files cleaned up. Yet I went through the account with a fine-toothed comb and removed anything slightly extraneous. There still is not enough space for our needs after the mysterious change occurred. Can someone please help me understand what happened and, more importantly, how to get our earned space back?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If the quota hasn't freed up, then it sounds like it hasn't been deleted fully from the site, could you check again to see if it's still visible on the backup page and try deleting it again?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Sue-PSC
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I've checked my Referrals page and it shows I've earned 2.75gb bonus space, but it's not appearing on my account.

Sue-PSC
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Sorry - it IS appearing on my account, but I previously had more storage. This is becoming confusing. I know it was allowing us to share much more information prior to April 24, and now it's extremely limited, but I couldn't find anything in Events that indicated anything that would affect the storage. Sorry if this is confusing. I couldn't find a way to edit my first reply.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Sue-PSC, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Are you certain you're logged into the correct account with the referral quota? How many referrals did you earn in total according to this page?

Is it possible you had any promotional quota which has since expired, which is visible on the referrals page as well?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Sue-PSC
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Jay, thanks for reaching out.  I checked Referrals and it indicates one expiration of 25gb in 2018, so nothing that would affect this situation.

I will try to clarify as much as I know.  Sometime around the last 2 weeks of April this year we began having file sharing issues where the info I would share with my team wouldn't show up in their Dropbox folders. To be clear - I'd done nothing different than we had been doing the last 12 years, but I was in the midst of recovering from a personal computer crash.  I only have the one Dropbox account so I don't believe I could have signed into a different account.

Additionally, with the problems we were experiencing I cleaned absolutely everything out of my folders that were stored, but weren't essential shared files which we modify daily.  We have continued to struggle with limited space since that timeframe. It's becoming problematic enough that my whole team will need to look for a different file sharing solution in a matter of days/weeks unless someone can figure out what happened to change the storage we obviously used to have.  I couldn't find anywhere to look at storage history to see if I could find a glitch there but wasn't able to find anything that allows me to see our storage history.  

Dropbox has been such a great resource that I dislike having to look for alternatives, so if you can figure out this mystery Jay, we'd be very grateful.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Is it possible that you have a backup running on your Dropbox account, which would take up quota?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Sue-PSC
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

That may be possible, but I can't tell from that screen.  I took a screenshot of the link you gave me. How can I send it to you?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You can paste the screenshot in your next reply, or by clicking the camera icon to attach the image. 

The backup page would show any kind of backup running on your device. If you're not certain, this page will show the breakdown of your quota, including backups.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Sue-PSC
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Jay, I think you've touched on something here! This is what is showing up on the Subscriptions page
Regular files (1.6 MB)
Backup (3.5 GB)
Shared Files (1.3 GB)

Plus you can see the backup impact on my account in this screenshot.  How do I remedy this?
Dropbox Backup - Screenshot 2023-06-22 112456.jpgShared files (1.3 GB)

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Yes, it looks like you have a backup taking up 3.46 GB on your account. You can delete it from the site by following these steps.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?