cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to add an email address as secondary, but it's already in use.

I need to add an email address as secondary, but it's already in use.

amymcc
New member | Level 2

Hi! I'm an independent contractor for a company, and I set up a Dropbox account with my new email address. However, I upgraded my freelance business account to Dropbox Plus and would like to make the contractor email a secondary email on that upgraded account. That way, I'll be able to see files/folders shared with either email address in Dropbox, and the upgraded plan will give me more storage space and features.

Because the contractor email is already in use with an account, it won't let me add it as a secondary email in the other account. Should I delete that account? It's warning me that deleting the account means I will no longer have access to anything previously shared with that email address. Only a few folders have been shared so far, and I could have someone share them again, but I want to be sure I'm doing this the right way before I do something irreversible.

I appreciate any insights you can provide! Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @amymcc! Welcome to our forum and thanks for posting today.

What you mention is correct; to use an email address for your new Dropbox account (even as a secondary one), it’ll need to be disconnected from any other Dropbox account it’s currently linked to. 

One option is to delete the other account indeed. If you do this, then all of your personal files/folders will be permanently deleted and you won’t be able to access the files that were shared with you previously by other users. You can see more details on this here.

However, there’s another option which is to change the email address of that account to a third one (that’s not used by any other account) and then use the one you want as a secondary for this account.

Let me know if that helps.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?