cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I disable third-party AI sharing of my Dropbox data?

How do I disable third-party AI sharing of my Dropbox data?

ThankYou
Helpful | Level 5

Dropbox shows the instructions to do this as follows:

=====

"To manage the use of third-party AI in your Dropbox account:

1. Log in to dropbox.com
  2. Click your initials or avatar in the upper right. 
  3. Click Settings.
  4. Navigate to the Third-Party AI tab.
    • Toggle On to enable third-party AI.
    • Toggle Off to disable third-party AI."

https://help.dropbox.com/view-edit/dropbox-ai-how-to

=====

But I can't find any "Third-Party AI" tab in settings.

These are the only tabs that appear.

PmxNup

I looked under all of them and can't find anything about "Third-Party AI"

How do I turn this sharing off?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@ThankYou wrote:

The Third-Party AI features are not available to everyone yet. The features are in alpha and are only available to customers on Dropbox Professional, Essentials, Business, Business Plus, and some customers on Dropbox Standard and Advanced.

If you're on a Basic, Plus or Family account, or you're part of one of the other groups that don't yet have access, the Third-Party AI features won't be available to you.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II

@ThankYou wrote:

The Third-Party AI features are not available to everyone yet. The features are in alpha and are only available to customers on Dropbox Professional, Essentials, Business, Business Plus, and some customers on Dropbox Standard and Advanced.

If you're on a Basic, Plus or Family account, or you're part of one of the other groups that don't yet have access, the Third-Party AI features won't be available to you.

ThankYou
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you.  If you are in one of the categories where you don't have access to this setting, is the Third-Party AI sharing set to on or set to off?

Rich
Super User II

Dropbox isn't just randomly sharing people's files with third parties. Your files are only sent to a third-party AI when you use one of the AI powered features. If your account doesn't have access to the features, then your files would never be shared with a third-party.

ThankYou
Helpful | Level 5

I see.  Okay, thank you for your help.

msaringer
New member | Level 2

Something seems fishy to me. I heard about this on 12/14/2023 and immediately disabled the opt-in. I even took a screen shot and shared it with friends. Now, that tab is gone.

dropbox.jpg

Ed Gomes
Explorer | Level 3

In our admin portal for the advanced plan service, we found that they hid the option in the navigation to the "Third-Party AI" settings page but it still exists (https://www.dropbox.com/team/admin/settings/ai). It was still enabled for the accounts in our instance so we just turned it off. We are not pleased. 

AmeliaMN
New member | Level 2

I can see that I have AI search, because when I (for example) search for 'dog' in my Dropbox mobile app I get photographs of dogs, not just documents with the word dog in the title or body of the document.

2023-12-22 09.54.51.png

but, like others are saying here, I don't have the ability to turn it off in my settings.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey everyone!

So, currently, only users eligible and selected to participate in the alpha experience for Dropbox AI for search should have this feature. 

These users will see a banner which reads, “Quickly find what you need with Dropbox AI for search” when they click into their search bar.

You can find more info about this here.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    AmeliaMN New member | Level 2
    Ed Gomes Explorer | Level 3
    msaringer New member | Level 2
    ThankYou Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?