cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Change my email address without having access to email account used to create the Dropbox acc...

Change my email address without having access to email account used to create the Dropbox account.

Pb17
Explorer | Level 4

I changed the linked email for my free Dropbox account and cannot access my old files. How do I recover them?

27 Replies 27

Pb17
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, the downloads out of the old Dropbox and just upload them to the new address seems to be the slower but safer way to go.  Thanks you😋

angelaaltman
New member | Level 2
I need to talk to someone from Dropbox. I unlinked myself from Dropbox, because Dropbox was attached to an old email that I no longer have access to. Now II need to talk to someone from Dropbox. I unlinked myself from Dropbox, because Dropbox was attached to a old email that I no longer have access to. Now I can’t get access to all my documents in the old. Dropbox. Customer service told me to set up a new dropbox I did. How do I get all my old information out of the old dropbox into my new dropbox

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to see you're having this issue, @angelaaltman.

When you say that you unlinked yourself from Dropbox, can you clarify what steps you followed exactly?

Do you have any devices still linked to the old account?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

gsrude
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

You can contact the support team for it. You need to open a support ticket and try to retrieve your information. One more thing, you can just provide them with your email and details so that dropbox support can help you get your account back. 

PetermHart
Explorer | Level 3

I have been trying to change the email address on my Dropbox account for months without having access to that email address because it was cancelled due to a business restructure.  I forgot to change the details before the email address disappeared. I keep paying Dropbox for this account and don't want to loose the stored data. I have sent Dropbox details of the CC payments, etc. I can't get a real person to respond. I always need to use a security code sent to the old address. Can anyone help me find a real person in Dropbox?

Rich
Super User II

@PetermHart wrote:

I forgot to change the details before the email address disappeared. I keep paying Dropbox for this account and don't want to loose the stored data.

You can try contacting Support, but without access to the email account you may not be able to gain access to the Dropbox account. You need to maintain an active email address on your account so you can receive password resets and one-time security codes used during sign in.

To contact Support, visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox address, including these forums, and you'll see an option for sign in issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

If you're unable to gain access to the account, Support will at least be able to cancel any future payments if the account is on a paid subscription.

PetermHart
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Rich,  Thanks for your response.  I also have a private Dropbox account with a valid (private) email address.   I did contact support and did provide the credit card details of a recent auto payment. I received an email (to my private email) titled: "Oops Did something go wrong ? You deserve to have the right plan."  I concluded that my request for review was interpreted by a chat bot as a sale opportunity.   I can't access the existing Dropbox account because I need a security code that keeps getting sent to the old email address. Peter

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @PetermHart - did you try to contact our support team as Rich suggested?

If you did and got a ticket ID, please share it with us here so that we can look it up in our system. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?