cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Change my email address without having access to email account used to create the Dropbox acc...

Change my email address without having access to email account used to create the Dropbox account.

Pb17
Explorer | Level 4

I changed the linked email for my free Dropbox account and cannot access my old files. How do I recover them?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Pb17, it sounds like you might have created a new Dropbox account, instead of changing the email address to your existing one.

Had your files been deleted, then you should be able to see them when accessing your events page. 

When you say the usual ways to access the old account are gone, can you clarify more? I suggest that you either sign out of the current Dropbox account, and then try to sign into the old one, or you can do this using an incognito tab on your browser. 

If you have any problems when doing that, please let me know.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

27 Replies 27

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Pb17, welcome to our Community!

Just to clarify: did you manage to change the email linked to your Dropbox account hence you no longer have access to your account, or you no longer have access to the old email address, in order to receive the 6-digit-security code and access it? 

Is it not feasible to recreate the email address and attempt to login again?

Another thing you can perhaps try is to check whether you had previously installed the desktop app on one of your computers. If you had, then there’s a chance your local Dropbox folder is still located there, along with your files.

I hope this clarifies!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Pb17
Explorer | Level 4

That was a great idea to use an old computer. Unfortunately my 2013 MacBook is maxed out at El Capitan OS. When I tried accessing Dropbox on the old computer is says there is an updated version of Dropbox and it looks like the current version of Dropbox is not supported by my old iOS10. Any solution?

Mark
Super User II

Access it via the website instead from that device @Pb17 ? It should still auto log on

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Pb17
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, Does anyone know of a solution to this problem? 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @Pb17, are you able to logon to the Dropbox site at all?

Could you clarify the steps you took on how you changed your email?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Pb17
Explorer | Level 4

I tried logging in on the Dropbox website but it sent a code to the defunct email address.

As to the steps in changing my email, I believe I did it in the preferences section with the button to edit the email address. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Without being able to access the original email address, it wouldn't be possible to change the email address on your account. 

Is the email address completely deleted? Can you contact your email provider to at least temporarily open it again?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Pb17
Explorer | Level 4

I just went back into the preferences and the new address is all that displays for that field

.  The old email address was gone in 2017.  I cannot access it. The preferences edit never requested access to the old account.  I would think it should have had some verification but it seems it didn't. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Pb17, sorry to jump in here as well.

For you to be able to change the email address of your account, you would have to be logged in to it, to begin with.

Also, changing the email address of the account, does not affect your access to your files.

They should still be in your "All files" page; do you see them there?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?