cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice for Configuring Dropbox

Best Practice for Configuring Dropbox

Dave C.27
New member | Level 2

I’ve used Dropbox for many years. The configuration I’ve created on many new PCs is to create the Dropbox folder inside Documents (there is nothing else of significance in the rest of Documents. I then use Boxifier to sync Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos and my Calibre library (ebooks).

In addition, all of these folders are backed up to a NAS each night with Robocopy.

Given the requirement to sync these folders to Dropbox in some way, I would be interested to learn how other Dropbox users would do this. What is best practice? Can I do this efficiently without using Boxifier?

Thanks for your help.

1 Reply 1

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Dave C.27 wrote:

... What is best practice? ...

Hi @Dave C.27,

The best practice is whatever works for you (or whoever else). 🙋 There is nothing universal.

@Dave C.27 wrote:

... Can I do this efficiently without using Boxifier?

You may use whatever else software doing the same, of course. Just keep in mind that so called Dropbox Backup just moves selected folders inside Dropbox folder to be able keep them in sync! If that's Ok (i.e. everything, including Downloads, Music, Pictures, etc. - the real folders, to be Documents' subfolders), you can use it (this is definitely NOT advice!).

Good luck.

PS: What's the actual reason, you're looking for alternative? This may gives some more ideas what can fulfill the requirements. By the way when you use alternative sync solution (like Boxifier) better use it for everything (without Dropbox folder) otherwise you have 2 copies of the same data locally (some of them. at least) - more disk engagement (something that usually tends to be avoided).

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?