cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security levels Business Accounts

An Excel file I share with a Business team is creating conflicted copies

DebraV
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi

I am currently working on a project for an organisation with an excel file. The excel file is contained in their Dropbox and which I 'share' and have edit rights. This is where I am confused and hope to get a clearer view of what is happening.

I have created an excel file and uploaded to the shared drive.  I assume that when I open the file to view/amend etc, I am in my personal account not their business account.

When I or someone else opens the file, it is creating a conflicted copy of the file. So anytime someone accesses the file it will create a 'conflicted copy' no matter whether it is a member sharing through their business account or me via my personal account?

Is there no way to sync a file?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DebraV
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks Mark for your help!

If I was able use Dropbox on my desktop that would be great (and may solve a problem) but I use it on the desktop for another organisation. I assume its still a case on not having more than one available on desktop? I use the other orgs files daily so its not a possibility of dumping theirs.

Pity there isn't a way of switching between the two.

Thank you! 

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

If you open the file inside of the Dropbox folder and INSIDE of the share while online you should be able to work on it together IF you have the right account type: https://help.dropbox.com/view-edit/edit-microsoft-office-documents

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

DebraV
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Mark

Sooo the problem may be that I work in Excel for the Web and the others open with Excel?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Yes.

Or the other common issue is that people dont open via Excel on a computer from Dropbox directly on their computer but rather download it, open it, edit and upload it

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

DebraV
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I thought that would have been part of the problem. I am not accessing the file through the 'business' account (can't), I have to do it via my own 'personal' account where they are given 'sharing' rights. I may have to talk to them about either giving me access to their account or if i do anything to the  file download and then get a business member to upload it. Am i on the right path?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

If you dont want sharing conflicts you all need to be in same shared folder with same read write access. 

DebraV
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks Mark for your help!

If I was able use Dropbox on my desktop that would be great (and may solve a problem) but I use it on the desktop for another organisation. I assume its still a case on not having more than one available on desktop? I use the other orgs files daily so its not a possibility of dumping theirs.

Pity there isn't a way of switching between the two.

Thank you! 

DebraV
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi

I am working on a project for an organisation and they have shared certain folders with me which I work with but in my personal account.

This has been a troublesome with some of the things that I am trying to achieve (Dropbox desktop app, only able to open with Excel on the Web - they use desktop version). I am looking for solutions to suggest to them.

Getting full access to their business account is probably not likely but I wondered whether security and permissions can give me business account access but only to some folders?

Open to suggestions!

Many thanks

Debbie

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

If you have installed on a computer it should open in whatever apps are on your computer as long as you have them available (e.g. if you open the Dropbox folder and double click an Excel file it will open in Excel on the machine as long as its installed). 

The settings you already have - i.e. access to the shared folder is exactly how that should work. 

DebraV
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Mark

This is all I see when I open the file.

personal.png

I have to open it from Dropbox.com as I can use it via desktop app. When I access the other orgs files (which I use via desktop) I see this: business.png

The others who use the folder have been using Excel. I wrote the file for Excel for the Web but they prefer to use desktop Excel. So things like links are not working when they access the file.  I would like to be able to work within the same version to ensure that what is there is workable.

From what I understand, I can only link 2 accounts on the desktop app if one is a business account. That is why I was wondering if security and permissions can be to the folder level. They may be agreeable to giving me access only to what I need instead of all of it. 

They have shared the folder with me (to my personal account) but I can only access it via the web. I already have another organisations accounts on desktop. It is a paid personal account not 'business' so I can't link both. I know its confusing i am just trying to think of ways around the issue.

Thanks!

Debbie

Need more support?