cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move files to the new Personal Folder (as Admin)

Move files to the new Personal Folder (as Admin)

DieterDK
Helpful | Level 5

Following the update to the new Dropbox file system (Changes and updates to your team account - Dropbox Help), users now have their own "Personal Folder".
Before this change (and as Dropbox did not have this feature), we had created an Employee Team folder with a subfolder for each employee, and they had sole access to this folder as their personal folder space. When the new file system was rolled out, users lost access to the old personal folder and needed to get access again by making a new selective sync.
As the Admin, I would rather move the contents of the old subfolder into the new Personal Folder instead of asking 200+ users to again sync the old folder and cause potential confusion between these two setups. I would like to do this through the Admin console. 
However, I cannot locate where I can manage a user's Personal Folder or move content into that, from another folder in the team folders. 

2 Replies 2

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @DieterDK, thanks for your post.

I'm afraid that you can't access the team member folders from your admin console.

However, if you're on a Dropbox Advanced, Business Plus, or Enterprise account, you should have the "sign in as user" feature, which will allow you to sign in to your team members' accounts and perform the changes you want.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DieterDK
Helpful | Level 5

I have had to go through 230+ users, having to "Sign in as user" and click through all the steps for every single one to move files. In many cases, I have had to repeat the process as they would not always complete it in the first run.

With 5 or 6 of these users, I ran in to the same problems other users have described here and had to copy instead of move and then delete the source files.
In this case, it seems that this is because the users had previously shared some files in the folder, and even if I remove the "shared with" entries, the message they cannot be moved outside a Teams Folder prevents this.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DieterDK Helpful | Level 5
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?