cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is private folder in Business Dropbox really 100% private and not visible to admin?

Is private folder in Business Dropbox really 100% private and not visible to admin?

jrdragon
New member | Level 2

Hello I need your help.

1. I have previously used a Dropb Box Essentials subscription for my private files. I was activated for professional folders. I paid for the dropbox myself.

2. Dropbox Business has now been introduced in my company. So now I have to install my professional Dropbox on my PC. There is a “private” folder within Business Dropbox.

The problem: I would still like to use Dropbox on the PC for work and private purposes. However, I would like to use my company's business Dropbox so that I don't have to continue paying for an additional Dropbox Essentials subscription. However, no one in the company should be able to access the private files.

my question:

1. If I use the private folder in the new Dropbox Business, can only I see the files? Or does the admin have any way of accessing the data?

2. If it is the case that my private files in my private folder on Business Dropbox are not 100% private, I would prefer to continue to operate a 2. Private Dropbox (paid). How do I combine these with the business dropbox so that I always have direct access to both dropboxes via the PC without switching back and forth?

1 Reply 1

Mark
Super User II

Anything inside of the 'Business' Account can be viewed by the business admin at any time. 

If you dont want your current account to move to the business EITHER:

1. Set up a new account to join the business team 
  2. OR if you are using the business email for your Dropbox change the email on the account to a private one and continue to use that as is and then set up a new account with the business email and join the Team with the newly created account

You can then link the accounts via https://help.dropbox.com/account-access/link-unlink-two-accounts

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?