cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I disconnect my account from a team account in locked state?

How can I disconnect my account from a team account in locked state?

tlward2020
New member | Level 2

Hello, 

I accidentally linked my personal account with a business team that I was invited to last year. I no longer work with that business and have just received a notification from Dropbox saying 'Your team is in locked state. If still in locked state after October 16, 2024, it’ll be deleted permanently. Download any files you don’t want to lose.' I followed the Dropbox help instructions to unlink my account (Login to dropbox.com with either account, Click your avatar (photo or initials) in the top right. Click Settings. Click the General tab. Click Unlink next to Linked accounts...) however when I got this far it didn't give me the option to unlink. Instead it says 'link'. 

I'm confused. Why when I login does it say I'm in the Team account and shows my personal folder within it if they're not linked? Will my personal files/account be deleted when the Team account expires?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@tlward2020 wrote:

Why when I login does it say I'm in the Team account and shows my personal folder within it if they're not linked?

You're talking about two separate things. Being a member of a Team account isn't the same as a pair of linked accounts.

When you join a team with your own account, your account is merged into the team. It's not linked. Your account no longer exists and you now has a team account owned by the team admin (yes, they own your account now). Linking refers to joining a team with a separate account, so you have a team account and a separate personal account, and you can link them together so they both sync to different folders on your computer.

I followed the Dropbox help instructions to unlink my account

Those aren't the instructions you need. Refer to the following help article instead.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?