cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating billing address

Updating billing address

SMK66
New member | Level 2

Has anyone successfully changed their billing address in Dropbox?

I have tried to change my billing address as I have moved and it will let me change the address but not the postcode.

I contacted the chat facility and was told that the only way to change my postcode was to downgrade my account and then PAY AGAIN to re-upgrade in order to change the details.  Alternatively they said I could wait until renewal which is 9 months away.

I cannot believe that if I have an account that I have paid £360 for that I cannot update my details without paying again.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thank you

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

@SMK66 wrote:

I contacted the chat facility and was told that the only way to change my postcode was to downgrade my account and then PAY AGAIN to re-upgrade in order to change the details.

Have you changed countries? If so, then you won't be able to change the current billing information on an active subscription because it could result in a change of currency. In such a case, the account needs to be downgraded (or let the subscription expire) and then you can make the necessary changes before upgrading again.

SMK66
New member | Level 2

Thank you for your reply.  I haven't changed countries, I am in the UK and staying in the UK.  I was able to change the house name, street and town, but not the postcode.  For that they said I had to downgrade and then re-upgrade and pay again.  Madness.

kaaren68
New member | Level 2

I also have this issue - did you manage to resolve it without downgrading (which sounds nuts!)? thanks Karen

ffiigg
New member | Level 2

I also have this issue - yet can only change the country and postcode, but not the street address...

The solution I received was that I needed to upgrade my plan to be able to update my address.

Awkwardly, the support chat person (Natalie) also stated: "Legally, Dropbox must display the same billing information on your invoice that you entered at the time of your purchase".

😐

stephanieg
New member | Level 2

I found a workaround - that does not require a plan change> I had the same issue with the post code refusing to change when I moved from one house to another in the same country. 

Go to the "Billing period" in the web browser on desktop - click to change it ( you won't actually change it ... but you need the billing screen to open) 

A popup screen will open, and you'll have amessage about changing ( either from monthly to annuall or the other way around) - ignore the confirm button on the right, and click on the " Update Billing Info" link on the left bottom corner of the popup. 

It will open a billing screen. 

Capture the same payment info as you currently have, but - here's the catch - you have a box where you can change the post code ( yippeeeeeee) 

Tick the necessary boxes to accept terms and conditions and indicate that you understand the change of country will change your taxes ( which it won't unless you pick the wrong country) and save. 

Then go and edit the address details, and you'll see the post code has changed. 

Absolutely ridiculous that this is not something you can do when you simply move to a new office in the same country and city - but there you have it - a work around that does not require you to change your plan or cancel and re-upgrade or any other some such nonsense the dropbox support wants you to do.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

stephanieg New member | Level 2
    ffiigg New member | Level 2
    kaaren68 New member | Level 2
    SMK66 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?