cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unrecognized charges & how to cancel these?

Unrecognized charges & how to cancel these?

npp26
Explorer | Level 4

I need help. Someone managed to get my credit card info and is using it to pay for their dropbox account. I physically cannot find a single way to cancel it and have now been paying it for four months. PLEASE HELP

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @npp26, sorry to hear about that! 

I was able to locate your ticket number reference, and handled your case. Take a look, and let me know if you need anything else. 

Thanks! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

23 Replies 23

npp26
Explorer | Level 4

The same thing is happening to me. Can you please share what is being done to stop this? Someone purchased a professional account with my card and I've been trying to figure out what account it was on for the past four months. I finally saw the account it was associated with, but it's not any of mine. There is physically no way to get this cancelled, and it is infuriating.

Rich
Super User II

@npp26 wrote:

Someone managed to get my credit card info and is using it to pay for their dropbox account. I physically cannot find a single way to cancel it ...

You'll need to contact Dropbox Support directly. Visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for Billing issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

Dropbox cannot charge you if they don't have your billing information. If you've been charged and didn't give them your billing information, then someone else has and you should be contacting your bank as well.

npp26
Explorer | Level 4

I'm already talking to the bank, but it seems they managed to get the info through a virtual wallet, so cancelling my card isn't going to do anything (working through that with the bank to figure out how to protect my account). 

The issue I'm having with the site that is linked there is that they are searching for the charge associated with the email. Since that is not mine, the email for the ticket goes to the person who owns that account (i.e. not me), so I'm trying to submit one under my email account, but for which there is no charge (since it's not associated with my email, seeing as it's a free account). You can see how this is complicating issues. The fact that Dropbox has NO SUPPORT for this is ridiculous.

Rich
Super User II

@npp26 wrote:

... they are searching for the charge associated with the email. Since that is not mine, the email for the ticket goes to the person who owns that account ...

Flip the email addresses on the form. Select Other, then enter your email address for the Dropbox account, fill out the rest of the form and be sure to include the other person's email address in the Other Details field, along with any other information. Be sure to mention it's fraud.

When you get a new ticket number, reply here with it and a Dropboxer might be able to check the status.

The fact that Dropbox has NO SUPPORT for this is ridiculous.

They do have Support for this, and the steps I posted above is how to get it.

npp26
Explorer | Level 4

This is the ticket number: 23855043. I had already submitted it by the time I got the answer, so I didn't specifically use the words fraud, but the gist of the message was the same.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @npp26, sorry to hear about that! 

I was able to locate your ticket number reference, and handled your case. Take a look, and let me know if you need anything else. 

Thanks! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Bre14444
New member | Level 2
This has happened to me through PayPal. I need to dispute these charges. Should I do it through my bank or PayPal? Also, I refuse to pay $200 for something I will not and have not used or signed up for. Why is it so hard to find someone to help? Is all this a scam that dropbox does to take your money?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Bre14444, let's jump right into this!

Have you tried to contact Dropbox Support directly for this?

You can visit the Support page while you're not signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for Billing issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

Once you do, feel free to send me the ticket number reference, in order for me to locate it on my end.

Let me know more! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Todd54
New member | Level 2
So I have almost a dozen fraudulent charges on my bank account and I keep going on circles trying to reach someone. Can anyone offer a contact email or phone number?
Need more support?