cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our team has gone into locked state - how can I have a personal account instead with my files?

Our team has gone into locked state - how can I have a personal account instead with my files?

user551
New member | Level 2

Hello, A few years ago, I used my university's email to create a DropBox account to access a Team folder, which has a lot of data. I also created other folders containing a large amount of data and used my university email account for people to share their work folders with me. So now, there are a lot of files with important work data.

I received notification yesterday that the main workgroup is in a locked state and will be deleted. I would like to use my university email, but pay for my access to keep the other folders that are not related to the originalTeam folder. I created a personal "fee" account (with my personal email) to link my work DropBox email, however I want to pay for more storage space in my work email DropBox account. How do I do this? I am not an administrator for my workgroup. I just read the DropBox team responses to another person's problem with storage. Does the administrator have to make my account using my university email a personal account, so that I can pay for additional storage?

1 Reply 1

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @user551! Thanks for posting on our Community about this. 

The data that you previously stored on this Dropbox account, do you remember if it was saved within your personal folder (under your account username)?

If you’re not an admin on this Dropbox team, you have two options, as mentioned here. Unless your current admin chooses to renew the Dropbox team plan, you can always leave the team on your end (since it’s currently on locked state). After that, your Dropbox account will go back to a free Basic one that you can then upgrade to a paid plan. 

However, keep in mind that, while your personal folder will be moved over to the Basic account, you’ll lose access to most content that’s owned by the team. You can see more details on this here.

Let me know if you have any further questions though.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?