cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I cancelled my free trial, but I was still charged

I cancelled my free trial, but I was still charged

ensaine
Explorer | Level 3

I decided to try out Dropbox, so I went for the 30-day free trial. Once that ended, I never upgraded my plan, because as of now I don't use it that often. Anyway as of May 25, I was charged "$139.00" from Droppbox. I was confused because I never renewed anything, and made sure to cancel my 30-day subscription before the time was up. 

I looked at my billing account on Dropbox and it said "There were no recent transactions" and looked at what plan I had. It said I had the basic plan, but the basic plan isn't even $139.00 yearly or even monthly. The basic plan is $119 yearly and $9.99 monthly even with the tax, where does the $139 come from? 

I tried to dispute this transaction with my bank but my bank said that I needed to take it up with the company, (whichever that means.) I don't know who to contact because, on the Dropbox website, they're no clear email or phone number. 

I just want my money back, because as of now I'm unemployed and that $139 could have helped me. The worst part is, is that I don't even need to use Dropbox anymore, because last month I needed it for a project. So why am I being charged for something I don't even use? 

22 Replies 22

ensaine
Explorer | Level 3

It does give me the email it's my email. Yes you can send me an email. I only have one account 

Rich
Super User II

@ensaine wrote:

It does give me the email it's my email. ... I only have one account 

Are you sure? Check the email address reported in the transaction carefully, and compare it to the email address you see on this page. Are they identical? No extra characters in one of them? Look closely.

ensaine
Explorer | Level 3

There identical.

Rich
Super User II

@ensaine wrote:

There identical.

Without spelling out the entire thing, does your email address have two or three 0 at the end of it?

(And I've deleted one of your screenshots because the full email address is visible in it)

ensaine
Explorer | Level 3

It has two. 

Rich
Super User II

@ensaine wrote:

It has two. 

The screenshot I removed, which showed the transaction details and your email address, had three 0 in the email address.

2b64d666355b6ab25a7c4af1ccb3f931.png

I would try to sign in to Dropbox with that email address. You likely have a second account.

ensaine
Explorer | Level 3

I tried signing in using that email, and it did work. I only have one account. Next time please don't delete my screenshots because I took them as evidence. I don't care who knows my email address because I'm trying to be as detailed as possible when explaining my situation. My point is, is that why was I charged for the plus plan, when on my account I can't even use it?

Was there a glitch in the system? It makes no sense. My Dropbox account keeps wanting me to upgrade to the plus plan which makes no sense to me. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ensaine, Rich is correct about the screenshots and any visible information there.

You can see more about that by going through our Community Guidelines. I've also sent you an email, in order for us to have a closer look into this. 

I'll see you there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ensaine
Explorer | Level 3

It gives me an email address, I only have one account. I am sure that I do not have multiple accounts. I only have one. I have not mistakenly upgraded or created. I would not go through all this trouble if I were not telling the truth. I never authorized this payment. How did someone get ahold of my credit card information through a website that is supposed to be secure? Because my email has two zeros in it, but in the transaction ID the email is the same but with three zeros, someone replicated my email. How is it even possible that you guys let it slide where it's possible for someone's credit card information can be used in multiple accounts isn't that suspicious. Additionally, my account still says I'm on the basic plan and I keep getting emails from Dropbox saying to upgrade my basic plan to plus plan. To be honest, it makes me furious, I just want this situation to be resolved because I do highly respect this company. 

ensaine
Explorer | Level 3

Is there someone on the Dropbox team that I can call, because it is very time-consuming to keep responding to the forum posts and emails with oddly spaced response times. I am sure it is a headache on your end as well. I'm pretty sure if I was able to talk to someone on the phone, it'd be more resourceful to sort this situation out. Instead of expanding this into days or even weeks just to come to a solution. Because we have been "communicating" since Friday morning and today is Monday afternoon. I also contacted my bank and they are doing their part on their end, and asked me on my part if I could get hold of someone on the phone instead of forum post because of it's unreliable of not talking to a human. 

Need more support?