cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrading from Plus to Basic

Downgrading from Plus to Basic

mstarkman1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My question: I currently pay for the Plus plan, and have just 15 GB of data. If I downgrade to the Free plan, which now offers 2TB of data, I assume I still have full access to all my data? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @richardemr, any files already on your account won't be deleted. All that will happen is new files and edits to files won't sync while you're overquota. 

Deleting files will sync to the site, and once the account is underquota, the normal syncing process will resume.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@mstarkman1 wrote:

If I downgrade to the Free plan, which now offers 2TB of data, I assume I still have full access to all my data? 

The Basic (free) plan does not offer 2TB. It starts with 2GB and you can earn up to an additional 16GB through referrals.

richardemr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have a question : If i downgrade from trial plan to basic plan, it will starts with 2GB or it will starts with 2GB+the extra bonus GB that I have earned  through referral before the one-month trial plan ?  Thank you for your answer/help.  

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @richardemr, thanks for your question!

Any additional space you've earned from referrals is permanent, so any changes you make to subscription will not affect it.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

richardemr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Hannah , Thank you very much for the answer, it really helps a lot  !!

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@richardemr wrote:

@Hannah , Thank you very much for the answer, it really helps a lot  !!

Unfortunately @Hannah isnt quite correct. 

Referral space gets halved when you stop paying. This is because a benefit of being on a paid plan is double referral bonus when paid - so when you stop you loose this perk. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

richardemr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Really ! ? 

Thank you for the information,  Mr. Mark.  then, one more questions that i have :  dropbox will not delete/remove my file located in the referral bonus space, it will only stop sync updated file until I myself clear the space down below the space ceiling , right ?  Thank you in advance for your help. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @richardemr, any files already on your account won't be deleted. All that will happen is new files and edits to files won't sync while you're overquota. 

Deleting files will sync to the site, and once the account is underquota, the normal syncing process will resume.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

wonderingseeker
New member | Level 2

In relation to this, one site stated, "If your account is inactive exceeds one year, it will be deleted and so will your files. This cannot be recovered."

That got me worried because after i downgrade, i will keep my Dropbox account but i would probably not use it often. Hence, my account might be considered "inactive" for a year. It may be after 2yrs before i download any file in there.

So my question is: 2 years after i downgrade and don't use my account, will my account and all my files be deleted?

Rich
Super User II

@wonderingseeker wrote:

So my question is: 2 years after i downgrade and don't use my account, will my account and all my files be deleted?

If your account is idle for more than 1 year it will be deleted due to inactivity. To remain active, you need to periodically sign in to your account.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    wonderingseeker New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    richardemr Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?