cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Business plan to family plan. Will my data and shared folder safe?

Business plan to family plan. Will my data and shared folder safe?

poppinwithflavor
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi 

I've been using personal standard plan and just joined business plan for free trial. But I would like to switch my subscription plan to family plan instead of keeping business one.

If I cancel my business plan would any of my files and shared folders will be effected? I have just one account for dropbox and I will continue using same account. 

Thanks in advance. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi 

No you wont lose anything. All you may find is a short period where things done sync (as you need to let your current plan cancel and not renew before you can add on Family). 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi 

No you wont lose anything. All you may find is a short period where things done sync (as you need to let your current plan cancel and not renew before you can add on Family). 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

poppinwithflavor
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thanks I proceed with changing my plan without checking your answer and yes it worked without any damage.

kostaka
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hello, Mark. I have got kinda the same question. But I have 2 users in my Business account and I would like to change to Family account. What is the simplest way to do that without losing all the folder access settings? Thanks in advance.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

The process is exactly the same, but, whats changed now is that Teams are not supported except in Business. So down grade and re-upgrade BUT be aware of things that are not supported - for example Teams or the granular sharing permissions Teams allow. 

kostaka
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you, Mark. I have successfully downgraded. And now I am trying to sigh for Dropbox Family Plan and on the page https://www.dropbox.com/team/join/new_pair I am asked to set up my new personal account. I have always had only one account. What to do next? Shall I create another one here? Which one will be connected to Family Plan then? Thanks in advance.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @kostaka, how's your Monday so far? 

Do you still face this or did you manage to upgrade to the Family plan? 

Let me know, and we'll take it from there. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

kumobot
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi there, 

I was about to cancel my free trial for business and switch over to family plan, but then saw the notification to say that my account will no longer exist once I cancel. 

I currently have 6 people using the business one and so the family one works for us too. If I cancel the business and move to family will this change the folder layout and permissions?

Thanks!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @kumobot, thanks for joining the discussion here.

I just wanted to mention that you'll need to downgrade your account back to an individual one to be able to upgrade to the family plan.

Once your team account has been disbanded and your account is a standalone account, you'll be able to upgrade normally to the family plan and add the members of your previous team account as needed. 

This would of course change the folder layout and permissions of both your account and the accounts of your team's members as well.

I hope this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?