cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Latest news

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving hundreds of emails

Receiving hundreds of emails

Jmb825
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Have received 100's of emails from purported Dropbox users asking to be removed from a mailing list. Each has 22 CCs. Everytime someone replies, more spam is generated. Major issue. Reported to Dropbox support, awaiting response. Problem is ongoing - got another bunch while trying to report the problem. Dropbox impenetrable "support" system is part of the problem. I'd pay to speak with a human but can't find a way.

Any ideas? Please help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

BenDBX
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi Everybody,

This is a forwarded Dropbox email from a non-Dropbox email alias. We recommend you block the sender's email and domain. We also recommend reporting the sender to your email provider, and marking that email as spam or phishing.

You can determine legitimate emails sent by Dropbox by visiting our Help Center:

https://help.dropbox.com/security/official-domains

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Mmarg
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I am in the same email group. Help!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Jmb825 wrote:
Have received 100's of emails from purported Dropbox users asking to be removed from a mailing list.

Are the emails coming in from dropbox.com email addresses? If not, it's unlikely that Dropbox can do anything about it if they're not the ones generating the emails.

Can you paste the content of one of the emails here? Be sure to mask any private information.

BenDBX
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi @Jmb825 and @Mmarg,

Thanks for reporting this. Do you mind if we reach out to you via email to take a closer look at the emails you're receiving? It is possible that this is a third party sending these emails if they're not being sent from an official Dropbox domain, but we'd like to double check to make sure!

Thanks,

Ben

GinaSS
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My father is getting emails from dropbox individuals and they are not happy asking my father to remove them. I was not able to locate dropbox from his program files/apps. Has anyone expreienced this that can offer me a suggestion to remove this?

Jmb825
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Yes, please do!

I have continued to look at this. I think the dropbox reference in the subject is a red herring.

A consisrent finding is the email address:
"nooreeply5@gatwebe.cloud" in the RECIPIENT list.

It seems replies to "all" that include that address trigger additional spam emails that add that also include itself.

Unfortunately my email isp - Samsung email has no way to filter out emails with specific recipients to block this. I understand this is possible with Outlook. If so, Outlook users could set a filter to auto delete incoming email with that address in the recipient list.

John

Jmb825
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hi Gina,

Lots of folks in the same boat as your Dad,
Including me. I don't think it is a Dropbox problem. The hacker just put them in the email subject as a red herring.

I am not an expert and I don't work for Dropbox, but I have studied many of the hundreds of emails I have received and think I have a suggestion that could help, IF your father's email client has a robust filtering capability. I understand this is the case with Outlook, but don't know about others.

Set a filter to auto delete any incoming email with "nooreeply5@gatwebe.cloud"
In the recipient list - specifically in the CC list if you have that option.
Every time someone replies "all" to the spurious email, a bot at the gatwebe.cloud address sends out another 20-25 spam emails and tacks itself on.

If people would just delete and ignore the emails the process could be curtailed.

Unfortunately my email client has no filtering capability so I await help from smarter folks than I.

Good luck!

BenDBX
Community Manager
Go to solution

Thanks for following up with that information @Jmb825. I've also sent you an email so that we can take a look at the emails you received.

BenDBX
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi Everybody,

This is a forwarded Dropbox email from a non-Dropbox email alias. We recommend you block the sender's email and domain. We also recommend reporting the sender to your email provider, and marking that email as spam or phishing.

You can determine legitimate emails sent by Dropbox by visiting our Help Center:

https://help.dropbox.com/security/official-domains

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

BenDBX Community Manager
    Jmb825 Helpful | Level 5
    GinaSS New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?