cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Join a discussion

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let Dropbox help you get into vacation mode quicker

Let Dropbox help you get into vacation mode quicker

AngieB
Community Manager

07.18.24 vacation mode.jpeg

So... If you’re like me at this time of year, you might be dreaming of your next vacation but simultaneously dreading the prep work required to ensure things will smoothly run at work without you.

Dropbox can help! Here are a few tools you can use to prepare yourself, prepare the others (the real meaning of PTO) and ease back in upon your return

1. Prepare for your time away: Utilize Paper to organize yourself

BIG fan of Paper here, use it for everything, and I find this is the perfect way to jump start your prep and documentation. Open a doc for your own to-dos the week before you hit the beach and assign dates and times when things must get accomplished. Paper will remind you when those dates come due so you can pop in and check them off (the best part of any to do list). Having more boxes ticked than not always helps to jumpstart that out of office mindset with a clear conscience. 

df8e1a2b-d5e1-4e3f-8fe1-a4b88019f388.png 

AND if any of these items require the secure sharing of information, you have Dropbox Transfer and File Request at the ready, regardless of if your senders and receivers have Dropbox accounts. Say one of your clients owes you a signed Purchase Order. Set up a File Request to have that file funneled straight into a shared folder so your colleagues can view it and take action while you’re away!

2.How to be away: Compile that Out of Office plan

BUT back to Paper (told you I used it for everything), you can also set up a handover Paper doc to loop everyone in on the status of your current responsibilities and who’s covering what.  It can be clear, with links, tables and images without any stress. If there’s deliverables that must happen while you’re away, you can assign and date specific items. Make sure to Share with all the appropriate parties!

Here’s a sample, just to show you how I make my life easier (before I pack). 

07.18.24 Paper List.png

3. Welcome back: Re-engage with work 

ONCE you remember your logins, and scan that inbox to make sure nothing was on fire while you were away, you can refresh your own memory by opening up that Out of Office plan (I know, I’m really attached to Paper). Chances are, your coverage partners will use it to update you on the status and if things happened when you’re out of office. They can add comments async, or edit live with you during that inevitable Zoom debrief. 

You can even review on Dropbox Mobile as you take a walk that first morning to destress from getting back into the swing of things. It’s all about balance!

  

07.18.24 Capture Image.pngNEXT, as you tackle your inbox full of people asking you for things, make it easier on yourself with Dropbox Capture. With Dropbox Capture you can get your message across with screenshots, GIFs, or simple videos recorded right on your screen - so you can cut down on meetings and emails as you catch up. With Capture you can share updates on anything, and you can easily add voiceovers and markups - simple! 

These are just a few ways to ease the transition to and from vacation, but would love to hear your thoughts as well. So if you’re not too busy bookmarking this and searching for flights now, comment below on what Dropbox features help you the most in and out of office.

And, if you have any out of office tips, let me know too, I’d love to hear them! 

1 Reply 1

Amy
Community Manager

I love this @AngieB - I think being prepared to log OFF off makes it easier to enjoy the time, and makes coming back as painless as can be. And I swear I don't just check your handover the day before you come back... 

Need more support?
Poll
What do you mainly use Dropbox for?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Amy Community Manager
What do Dropbox user levels mean?