cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Logic Pro files disappearing

Logic Pro files disappearing

doppyjoe
Helpful | Level 5

I got a new macbook (M2) and migrated from my old macbook (2019 intel). 

Initially I set all of my dropbox folders to online only so I could then manually select what I wanted to keep local. 

I have always kept my logic projects in dropbox so I never have to worry about backing up. 

For some reason some logic projects are disappearing from their folders. And when I sync locally they do not appear. Only the audio files, bounces, samples etc. folders remain.

If I go to dropbox.com the logic project file is there. But when I download it and try any open it, it says it cant be opened! (See screenshots)

I have a bunch of important work that I cannot access. What is happening here? 

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 10.05.52.pngScreenshot 2023-07-31 at 10.07.26.png

50 Replies 50

mtritter
Explorer | Level 3

The pop up under the icon says "Dropbox 183.4.7058" and "Up to date"

...and the location listed in the Dropbox folder location just shows a folder called "Dropbox" (which no other option available except for "Other..."

One other data point - I'm on Ventura 13.6 on one computer and Ventura 13.3.1 on another.

Thank you!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks, @mtritter!

Would you mind clicking on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar, then on your initials/profile pic, then on 'preferences' and then on 'sync', to see the location of the Dropbox folder on your computer?

Is it in ~/Library/CloudStorage?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mtritter
Explorer | Level 3

On one computer it does say that, on the other it doesn't.

the machine with Ventura 13.3.1 says the Dropbox folder is required to be in "~/Library/CloudStorage"

the machine with Ventura 13.6 says it's just in "Dropbox".

I'm going to get the operating systems in sync and see if this helps.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Let us know when you've got more updates, @mtritter!

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

nicknewhouse
Explorer | Level 4

I've basically got the exact same problem with my .logicx file but I tried a workaround: 

I've downloaded a .tar of the folder that contains the .logicx file (which DOES actually show the .logicx file in finder once uncompressed). Unfortunately, something that Dropbox has done is responsible for corrupting the .logicx file since my computer doesn't seem to think the .logicx file is openable in Logic.

This thread by user "stevenmusic" outlines the issue that I've found in my attempted workaround: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Create-upload-and-share/Issue-with-Logic-Pro-files-logicx/td-p/72324...

Other .logicx files in Dropbox are completely fine btw so I'm not sure why some would exhibit this behavior and not others. We need a solve for this ASAP as many of us rely on Dropbox to secure work for ourselves and for clients (whom we may lose...)

Dropbox v187.4.5691

2023 Macbook Pro Apple M2 Max running Ventura 13.4.1

cenilleu
Explorer | Level 4

Hello.

Another one with the same issue. I've had this way of working for years and started to have problems once a computer with macOS 13 got into the equation.

The sync status show this message to me, but as you can see it is not a problem with filenames or characters. The weird thing is that some projects still sync, while some others not.

Captura de pantalla 2023-12-29 a les 0.41.14.png

@nicknewhouse wrote:

I've basically got the exact same problem with my .logicx file but I tried a workaround: 

I've downloaded a .tar of the folder that contains the .logicx file (which DOES actually show the .logicx file in finder once uncompressed). Unfortunately, something that Dropbox has done is responsible for corrupting the .logicx file since my computer doesn't seem to think the .logicx file is openable in Logic.

This thread by user "stevenmusic" outlines the issue that I've found in my attempted workaround: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Create-upload-and-share/Issue-with-Logic-Pro-files-logicx/td-p/72324...

Other .logicx files in Dropbox are completely fine btw so I'm not sure why some would exhibit this behavior and not others. We need a solve for this ASAP as many of us rely on Dropbox to secure work for ourselves and for clients (whom we may lose...)

Dropbox v187.4.5691

2023 Macbook Pro Apple M2 Max running Ventura 13.4.1

@nicknewhouse wrote:

Dropbox v187.4.5691

2023 Macbook Pro Apple M2 Max running Ventura 13.4.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi everyone, the issue you're experiencing could be related to the recent File Provider update to the Dropbox desktop application.

Unfortunately, syncing Logic Pro library files on cloud-storage services (including Dropbox) is no longer supported on macOS 12.5 or later. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

cenilleu
Explorer | Level 4

It's the only reason why I use dropbox, and I have paid for a whole year in advance.

Charles_F
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay, I'm having the same issue here with a new MBP M2. Some (not all) of my Logic Pro files cannot be opened. I get following error messages:

Trying to make file offline:

Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 00.12.35.png

Trying to make file offline (different window):

Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 23.57.14.png

Trying to open the file:

Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 00.11.04.png

I tried downloading the whole folder and also just the single Logic file from the web and it does not help.

You wrote "Unfortunately, syncing Logic Pro library files on cloud-storage services (including Dropbox) is no longer supported". Okay, but how do I recover or revert these files so I can transfer them to my drive? Or did I lose them completely? 

I've been using and paying for Dropbox for years (with Logic files working completely fine) and I'm just looking for any way to recover my projects. Since I'm using Dropbox as a backup solution, I don't have them anywhere alse.

Thanks a lot for your help!

    

92cafe
Explorer | Level 4

having a nightmare with logic sessions and dropbox currently. alot of session get stuck on 'waiting to sync' in the dropbox desktop app. 

Need more support?