cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to turn off and delete Dash

How to turn off and delete Dash

Homer
Helpful | Level 7

Help! I downloaded Dropbox Dash on my Mac and started it up. Now I can't get rid of it. Even after quitting Dropbox itself and restarting with Dropbox off, Dash still starts automatically on startup. I don't see a way to quit it or prevent it from starting automatically on startup. I even went to my Dropbox account page and disconnected Dash from Dropbox, but that made no difference. How do I quit Dash, prevent it from starting on restart, and delete the Dash app?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Homer
Helpful | Level 7

Yes, they finally did respond with a solution that worked. See below. Good luck!

Hi @Homer!

Since the Dash application has not been fully installed yet, the uninstallation process is slightly different. You'll want to utilize Activity Monitor on your Mac to Quit the Dash installer. I've included the full steps below:

1. Navigate to Activity Monitor using your Mac's Spotlight functionality
  2. Locate Dash within Activity Monitor (you can search for Dash and that will bring up all instances)
  3. For each line, select the line and click the Force Quit button above it 
    Looks like this: Homer_0-1704399802579.png

4. Once you've Force Quit each instance of Dash, you should be able to resume with dragging Dropbox Dash to the trash to uninstall
  5. Be sure to empty the trash and restart your computer once you've completed the above, to ensure that Dash has been successfully removed

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Homer, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Have you tried these steps to uninstall Dash from your machine?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Homer
Helpful | Level 7
Thanks for the response, but the instructions don't help me because I see no way to Quit Dash. That's where I could use help.

To uninstall the macOS Dash Desktop app:

1. Quit Dash

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Homer - sorry to jump in here, but you can quit the Dash app as outlined here by Ben. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Homer
Helpful | Level 7

Nope, that doesn't work. As you will see from the screenshots, Dash does not show up in the list of apps that can be force-quit. It also doesn't show up in the dock at the bottom of the screen. It's icon does show up as menubar item at the top of the screen, and as a floating window that says "Open Dash", but you can't quit either. And if I can't quit it, I can't delete the app.Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 2.18.15 PM.jpgScreenshot 2023-12-26 at 12.44.08 PM.jpg

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Did you maybe install the Dropbox Dash web extension and not the actual app in the first place @Homer

If so, you can navigate to your web browser's extensions and disable it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Homer
Helpful | Level 7

No, I downloaded and installed the Mac app, not a browser extension.

cybergee
Explorer | Level 4

Has there been any solution to this? I have the exact same problem and I reached out to support and have not gotten a response

Homer
Helpful | Level 7

Yes, they finally did respond with a solution that worked. See below. Good luck!

Hi @Homer!

Since the Dash application has not been fully installed yet, the uninstallation process is slightly different. You'll want to utilize Activity Monitor on your Mac to Quit the Dash installer. I've included the full steps below:

1. Navigate to Activity Monitor using your Mac's Spotlight functionality
  2. Locate Dash within Activity Monitor (you can search for Dash and that will bring up all instances)
  3. For each line, select the line and click the Force Quit button above it 
    Looks like this: Homer_0-1704399802579.png

4. Once you've Force Quit each instance of Dash, you should be able to resume with dragging Dropbox Dash to the trash to uninstall
  5. Be sure to empty the trash and restart your computer once you've completed the above, to ensure that Dash has been successfully removed

cybergee
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you @Homer. This worked.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cybergee Explorer | Level 4
    Homer Helpful | Level 7
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?